Taking Submissions: Stonecoast Review #13 – Superstition
Deadline: April 15th, 2020
Payment: Contributor Copy
ISSUE #13 CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Stonecoast Review will be open for submissions from February 4th, 2020 to April 15th, 2020.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE SUBMITTING:
The theme of Stonecoast Review Issue #13 is Superstition. This theme can be as loosely defined as necessary. Some phrases to give you a sense of what we’re looking for are: good luck, bad luck, cursed places, cursed objects, strokes of luck, lucky breaks, significance, cultural superstitions, personal superstitions, myths, urban legends, cryptids, charms, tough luck, beginner’s luck, secrets, wives’ tales, doppelgangers, tall tales, folk tales, last chances, and wishbones. Don’t feel restricted by this list, if you have a different way of interpreting the theme, we would love to see it. We accept Fiction, Pop Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, Poetry, Dramatic Works, Experimental, and Visual Art. We can’t wait to see your best pieces!
Stonecoast Review offers feedback on 10% of declined submissions. Contributors will receive a complimentary copy of the issue in which their work appears. Stonecoast Review acquires First Serial Rights and First Electronic Rights for all work published in the journal. Rights revert to the author upon publication.
Our staff is a group of volunteers, all either current Stonecoast MFA Program students or alumni of the program. We rely upon donations to cover advertising, website, and printing costs. To support the Stonecoast Review, please purchase a copy from stonecoastreview.org!
- When submitting your work, include a short cover letter and bio (100 words maximum). Submissions are only accepted through Submittable.
- Stonecoast Review accepts only blind submissions. Your name, email address, or any other identifying information must not appear anywhere in the document or submission title.
- We accept only one prose submission, one poetry submission (of up to three poems), or ten pieces of visual art per author, per submission cycle.
- Submitted work must be previously unpublished.
- We encourage simultaneous submissions, but please withdraw your submission immediately if accepted elsewhere. If you submit multiple poems and one is accepted elsewhere, please attach a note on Submittable identifying the poem that is no longer available.
- Your work must use standard manuscript format: double spaced, 12 pt., Times New Roman font. Poetry may be single spaced. However, if a divergence from these rules is integral to your piece, we will still consider it.
Fiction: Limit submissions to 5,000 words or fewer.
Creative Nonfiction: Limit submissions to 5,000 words or fewer.
Poetry: Limit submissions to 3 poems, with no more than 50 lines each.
Dramatic Works: Limit submissions to 12 or fewer pages.
Visual Art: We seek visual images for the Issue #13 cover and interior. We welcome experimental and unusual art forms. We accept 2D digital images of all forms of fine art—photography, sculpture, painting, and mixed media. Please send high-res digital images (no lower than 300 dpi) in JPG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, or RAW file format. (NOTE: Except for the front and back cover of Issue #13, all accepted visual art will be printed in black and white.)