- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Writing the Future We Need: Rescuing Curiosity
Deadline: October 31st, 2023
Payment: $45 and a contributors copy
Theme: Rescuing Curiosity
Continuing with our thematic arc, our next anthology will focus on Rescuing Curiosity.
In collaboration with Inked in Gray, we seek to publish powerful, authentic stories from members of our community. All profits from Rescuing Curiosity, as well as all previously published WriteHive anthologies go directly to WriteHive to help fund all our programming initiatives
This upcoming anthology will officially open September 1, 2023, and we will be collecting submissions until October 31, 2023. We will be looking for stories that explore characters or groups discovering, reclaiming, rescuing if you will, their curiosity and interests in life, hobbies, etc.
Submissions will not be accepted prior to September 1, 2023 or after October 31st.
Writing the Future We Need: Rescuing Curiosity
** ABSOLUTELY NO AI WRITTEN OR AI ASSISTED SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. NO AI INVOLVEMENT WHATSOEVER PLEASE**
Theme: Rescuing Curiosity
Genre: Science fiction, fantasy, or horror only
Age: Adult. No MG or YA
There is no limitation to how you incorporate this theme into your work as long as the story falls within the Sci-Fi, Horror, or Fantasy genre. We encourage you to take the theme and show its manifestation beyond the physical, showing us something unique and engaging.
Submission Period: Sept 1, 2023 to Oct 31, 2023
Submission Cost: Free
Word Limit: Max of 8K words per piece, not including addition information below
Payment: $45 per accepted piece plus one paperback contributor copy
Rights: First edition exclusive anthology rights for the first six months of publication
**Submissions and anthology communications will be managed by Dakota Rayne and WriteHive. Please submit your work at the link below, which will take you to the WriteHive Submission page.
Publication details: The anthology will be printed and published by Inked in Gray Press. Inked in Gray Press is considered the publisher and sponsor of the anthology, with all profits being donated to WriteHive.
Estimated publication date: Nov / Dec 2024
- Previously unpublished works
- You may submit up to 2 pieces, but each work must be a separate submission
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but please let us know if the work is accepted elsewhere
- Include story as attached .doc (or .doc compatible format) please for ease of visual accessibility
- You will be asked to copy a short query with bio and mission criteria into our form submission (see below for details)
- Work must not have been previously published elsewhere
What to Include with Your Submission: *Please read carefully*
- A 3 – 5 sentence bio with any relevant social media links (Social media is not required to participate)
- A short snippet (1 – 3 sentences): How your story keeps with WriteHive’s tagline of “Writing the Future We Need” and relates to our mission (Read more about our mission here). ie: “How does your plot/character/theme rescuing curiosity embody a Future We Need and embody the creation, furthering, or increase in safe, diverse community for all.” Our purpose is not to judge the quality of your explanation, but to get a short, concise feel of your story. (Submissions lacking this prerequisite will not be considered for the anthology)
- Trigger warnings, if any. These will be used as a forewarning to our judges and will be used in publication. They will have no influence on the acceptance of your submission. Here’s a list of trigger warnings you might use, in case you need some guidance. Feel free to add any others your story might have.
Trigger Warning Examples: Addiction, Pedophilia, Abuse, Substance Abuse, Animal cruelty, Queerphobia, Body horror (if it’s not a book in the horror or grimdark genre), Bullying, Fatphobia, Terminal illness, Chronic illness, Mental Illness, Degenerative Illness, Cannibalism, Deadnaming, Eating disorder, Genocide, Gore, Violence (graphic, gun, etc), Incest, Miscarriage, Mass shootings, Police brutality, Racial bigotry/Racism, Religious bigotry, Self-harm, Suicide, Suicidal thoughts, Rape, Human trafficking, Torture
How to Format Your Submission:
- Times New Roman font. 12 pt.
- Double-spaced please
- Numbered pages (title headings not required)
- Confirm you have included bio with social media links AND the mission blurb as requested above – can be inserted into the body of the email. *We will not read submissions without this*
- Mention any trigger warnings (see above)
- Submit via form below.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!