- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: The Deep Dark Woods
May 31, 2015
Deadline: May 31st 2015
Payment: 0.05 per word and a contributor copy
What could possibly lurking in the woods? It’s up to you to find out! Craft the scariest, most diabolical story you can. Your tale can be a horror that is based around a central moral theme or it can be a straight up splatterpunk that is only meant to shock! We only care that your story is well crafted, original, and gives a new take on the mysterious forest trope.
- We are looking for both flash fiction of around 500 words to short stories up to 8,000 words.
- Submission period runs from March 10thuntil May 31st.
- Open internationally, but the manuscript must be in American English.
- There is no entrance fee.
- No reprints!!
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but you must immediately let us know if your story has been accepted elsewhere.
- Multiple submissions are allowed. Limit of two submissions per person, though only one will be accepted.
- The genre is horror, though any subgenre is acceptable.
- Adult language and sexual situations are acceptable; however, please do not send erotica.
- We obtain first publication rights to your story in both print and digital format. Keep in mind that upon acceptance and subsequent publication, your story will be considered a “reprint” by other markets, which can be limiting to future acceptance/payrate. Please consider this factor carefully before submission.
0.05 per word and a contributor copy of the book!
Your story MUST:
– Be in doc/docx format
– Your file should be: your last name followed by your first name and then title of your story.
– The following subject in your email: Submission: Title of Your Story. Ex.
Ex. Submission: The Deep, Dark Woods
How many stories are you planning on acquiring for the anthology?
My goal is to have 15 – 20 stories, including my own. This all depends on the number of submissions received however.
What kind of stories are you looking for, other than “horror”?
You can read the last anthology, Welcome to the Future to get an idea of my general tastes. As a whole, I’m looking for pieces that are impactful in some way; whether because of a clever ending, solid hook, memorable characters, etc.
When will I know whether or not I have been selected?
Stories are NOT read until after the final deadline. As such, there is no definite timeline as to when rejections and acceptances will be sent off. Typically, it is within two months after deadline, so tentatively late July 2015.
How will winners be paid?
Winners will be paid through Paypal, so it is imperative that they have an account in order to receive funds.
How firm are you with word count?
We are very liberal when it comes to word count, as we want the best stories for the anthology. If your piece is really short, or very long, we will still take a look at it.
How will I know my submission was received?
You should get a confirmation email within three days after submission. If you do not that means we did not get your submission for whatever reason. Please try again!
What is the final deadline for submissions?
The technical close date is the last minute of May 31st, which for us is midnight CST. If you are slightly behind the deadline, such as being in a different timezone, we will still accept your entry. However, we will not accept any entry beyond the 31st of May.
Via: Christina Escamilla
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!