- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Mistresses of the Macabre
June 30, 2012
Deadline: June 30th 2012
Payment: $20 and 1 contributor’s copy
Rule: Female authors only
Working Title: Mistresses of the Macabre
Edited by: Lori Michelle, Max Booth III, Stan Swanson
Publisher: Dark Moon Books
Projected Publishing Date: Late Summer 2012
Contact info: [email protected]
No doubt about it, woman view the world differently than men. When something scares us, it tends to hit all of our senses and get us emotionally charged. We tend to try to think things through, but are not afraid to kick ass to protect those we love. Dark Moon is looking for stories written by women for a special women’s only anthology. The type of story isn’t important (ghost, zombie, vampire, spider, ghoul, ex-husband) as long as it scares us.
Please no over-the-top gore or erotica. Just make sure you frighten us and show everyone that women know how to make those dark nights a little darker and scarier with the best of them.
• DEADLINE: June 30th, 2012
• PAYMENT: Authors will receive one complimentary copy of the anthology and payment of $20.00.
• Submissions should fall between 1500-6000 words, but a few words over or under is fine. However, submissions that are excessively long will not be considered.
• Submissions will only be accepted as attachments in either .doc or .rtf format e-mailed to [email protected]. Please do not embed your story in the e-mail.
• E-mails should have the title of the anthology, the author’s last name and the title of the story. i.e. Vampires_Johnson_Fangs for the Memories.
• Include your real name (and pen name if using one), address, phone, email, story title and word count on the title page of the submission as well as in the body of your email. Include a brief bio (50 words or less) in the body of the email.
• Original works only, no reprints
• Format your masterpiece as it will be read, meaning use italics, bold, etc. when appropriate. Avoid the use of underlining and all caps.
• No headers or page numbers.
• Please use Times New Roman, Courier, Verdana, Arial or Georgia 12 point for submissions.
• Please do not use tabs or space for indentation. (Use the paragraph indent features of Word or Open Office, etc. instead. And remember, whatever word processor you use, save in Word or Rich Text Format.
• We reserve the right to reject any submissions not following these guidelines.
• By submitting your horror short fiction work to Dark Moon Books, you are assigning Dark Moon Books exclusive First World Rights for both print and electronic versions for a period of six months after publication. After that time period, you are free to resell your story as a reprint as long as first publication information is included. You keep all other rights including the original copyright.
• No gratuitous sex or foul language should be used unless it is integral to the story. Throwing in extraneous sex and four-letter words is not a formula for instant success. However, this is a publication for mature audiences and will contain blood, guts, violence, sex and mature language.
• You may withdraw your short story from consideration at any time, but this request must be made in writing (e-mail acceptable).
• Multiple submissions are accepted, but please send each story in its own email.
• Simultaneous Submissions: Since the majority of our staff are also writers, we understand how frustrating the submission process can be. For this reason, we have no problem with simultaneous submissions. However, please contact us immediately if your story is accepted elsewhere. And, if we accept your story, please inform anyone else you may have submitted to.
• Entrants selected for publication will be contacted prior to publication with further instructions. There are some instances in which we might ask the author for a re-write (with suggestions) if we feel it would improve the story and its chances of being published. We also reserve the right to edit submitted stories for length and content. Authors will always be contacted in advance if we choose to use their story. Authors will also always receive an edit of their story for approval prior to publication.
Questions? [email protected]
[via: Dark Moon Books.]
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!