- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Mad Scientist Journal
Deadline: September 30th, 2017
Payment: Flash 500-2,000: New:$10.00 Reprint: $5.00 – Short 2,001-8,000: New:$20.00 Reprint: $10.00
What We Want
We are OPEN to regular submissions until September 30, 2017.
Unless specified otherwise, we’re looking for stories that are:
- 500-8,000 words long.
- First person.
- Arguably mad science related.
The mad science is negotiable. The rest is not.
We are strongly biased towards science fiction, fantasy, and horror. We are also committed to publishing work by authors belonging to marginalized groups. If you are LGBTQ, a person of color, or belong to some other group that is underrepresented in the genre, we really want to hear from you.
When it comes to “first person,” this can includes fictional newspaper articles, press releases, brochures, etc. We’re also happy to consider reprints and more than one submission at a time.
Do not send us poetry, screenplays, stories that are being considered by another market (also known as simultaneous submissions), or long winded ramblings from disgruntled mad scientists without any plot.
Stories should be submitted in Standard Manuscript Format. Here’s a an explanation of what that means.
We currently only open for submissions one month at a time. Sometimes we will hold a story until the end of that period before deciding. If you haven’t heard from us within a month of our submission period closing, send us an email.
Stories will require a fictional identity for the narrator, with a bio. Authors will still be credited under their own name as follows:
Title of Your Story
An essay by [fictional narrator], as provided by [your name].
We will send a contract for esignature. For new stories, we will ask for exclusive first worldwide electronic and print rights for one year and nonexclusive rights afterwards. For reprints, we will ask for nonexclusive reprinting rights.
Payment is based on story length and whether or not it’s new.
Our contract says we’ll pay before it appears in the book, but we aim to send payment within a few weeks of receiving your contract.
Please Be Aware
Most publications will not reprint fiction that has appeared in online or print format elsewhere. By selling to a token paying market, you are limiting your ability to make more money off of your fiction. It is up to you, the author, to decide whether you want to give up First Publishing Right for token payment.
Send your story to us through Submittable: https://madscientistjournal.submittable.com/submit
Queries can be sent to [email protected].
Via: Mad Scientist Journal.
- The Horror Tree Presents…An Interview with Phoebe Darquling - November 18, 2017
- Taking Submissions: We Shall Be Monsters: Frankenstein Two Centuries On - November 17, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Hell’s Empire - November 16, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Sanctuary - November 15, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Allegory Volume 33/60 - November 14, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Til Death: An Anti-Valentine’s Day Poetry Anthology - November 13, 2017
- Trembling With Fear 11/12/2017 - November 12, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Out of Your Shadow: Empowered Sidekicks - November 10, 2017
- Taking Submissions: The Alchemy Press Book Of Horrors - November 9, 2017
- Taking Submissions Unnamed Corpus Press Halloween Anthology! - November 8, 2017