- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Lit Mag
November 30, 2017
Deadline: November 30th, 2017
Payment: $250 for online selection, $1000 for print selection.
Note: make sure you read what they’re looking for, this isn’t going to be a place for overly extreme work
What We Publish
Short stories, novellas
Creative nonfiction; essays on literature, art, culture, and music; biography, memoir
No restrictions on style or form
Fiction, Nonfiction, and Poetry
Up to 4,000 words.
LitMag‘s Virginia Woolf Award for Short Fiction
First Prize: $3,500, publication, and agency review by Sobel Weber Associates (clients include: Viet Thanh Nguyen, Richard Russo, Laura Lee Smith). Enter now. Go to Submittable for full contest guidelines.
We are drawn to big minds, large hearts, sharp pens
Word Count Limits
Print: 15,000 words
Online: 4,000 words
What to Send
One story or essay at a time, up to five poems.
Please wait until you have heard back from us before submitting again.
We do not consider work that has previously been published either in print or online (including personal blogs etc.)
What We Pay
LitMag Print: Upon acceptance, we pay $1,000 for fiction or nonfiction; $250 for a poem (or the rare short short)
LitMag Online: Upon acceptance, we pay $250
What We Acquire
LitMag acquires First English-language print and electronic rights.
Copyright reverts to the author upon publication.
When to Submit
Fiction is open: 10/1/17 to 11/30/17; 2/1/18 to 7/31/18
Poetry is open: 9/1/17 to 11/30/17; 3/1/18 to 7/31/18
Nonfiction is open: 8/1/17 to 11/30/17; 1/1/18 to 5/31/18
LitMag Online is open: 9/1/17 to 11/30/17; 2/1/18 to 6/30/18
LitMag’s Virginia Woolf Award for Short Fiction. Deadline is 12/15/17
How to Submit
Online. We use Submittable. (Saves trees, prevents paper cuts.) We do not consider emails with attachments or snail mail.
Please submit only once in each category and wait until you receive our response before submitting again.
Yes, of course. But please withdraw your submission immediately via Submittable if another publication beats us to your work.
We try to respond to submissions as quickly as possible and strive to send a decision within two months, but please understand that the volume of submissions may require us to take longer.
Via: Lit Mag.
- Taking Submissions: Alchemy and Artifacts (Tesseracts Twenty-Two) - January 23, 2018
- ‘Still Dark’ Blog Tour – The Most Important Class I Ever Took - January 23, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Temporal Fractures: [Mis]Adventures in Time - January 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Schlock! Horror! - January 22, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 01/21/2018 - January 21, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Lost Souls and Robots & Artificial Intelligence - January 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: The Internet is Where the Robots Live Now Anthology - January 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Nefariam: The Element of Crime - January 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: She’s Lost Control - January 17, 2018
- Taking Submissions: City In The Ice - January 17, 2018