- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Legends of Sleepy Hollow
June 30, 2015
Deadline: June 30, 2015
Payment: $10 and 1 contributor’s copy
The picturesque village of Sleepy Hollow is nestled up against the Hudson River in Westchester County, New York. Made famous by Washington Irving in his iconic Halloween tale, “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” it has been featured in film and television numerous times–most recently in the FOX TV show, Sleepy Hollow.
It’s most famous fictional resident is, of course, The Headless Horseman.
This galloping demon has beheaded many a poor unfortunate and has been embraced by the community. He is the official mascot of Sleepy Hollow High School, and his likeness dominates the village on street signs, storefronts, firetrucks, and more.
But he is not alone.
There are countless horrific tales of darkness stemming from this seemingly-innocent locale, and it’s about time these other stories were given their due. Legends of Sleepy Hollow is a new anthology aimed at all of the other creepy, gruesome, terrifying tales centered on this infamous village.
Give us your gothic chiller, your modern horror, your Lovecraftian insanity. Trot out the terror from the mythology of the native people who lived here long before Europeans arrived. Take us into the past or into the future. Explore an existing local legend or create one of your own. The sky’s the limit. All we require is for your story to focus in some way on the supernatural and that it take place in or around the Village of Sleepy Hollow.
- No gratuitous sex, violence, or profanity.
- No adult content or erotica. Not interested.
- No fan fiction (stay away from the TV show or Tim Burton’s film).
- Story must be your work and it must be original (no reprints).
- We want stories of between 2,000 – 8,000 words. Once you have your masterpiece, email it as an .rtf, .doc, or .docx attachment to neilsensleepyhollow@ . We will ignore anything sent to us in any other format or pasted into the email.
- Please include your name, contact information, and word count on the first page.
- We pay a cool $10 per accepted story, plus 1 contributor’s copy.
- Submission deadline is June 30, 2015.
- Send any questions, comments, or furious rants to neilsensleepyhollow@ .
For published pieces we take First Print and/or Electronic Publishing Rights. Bear in mind that most publications will not publish pieces that have been published in print, eBook, or on the web, so for all intents and purposes after your work is published by us it can only be marketed as a reprint, which limits the number of markets that will accept it, and often reduces the pay rate it can receive. It is up to you, dear author, to decide if publishing your work with us, giving up your First Publishing Right for a token payment, is the best choice for your story.
We’ll try to get back to you ASAP, but no later than 2 weeks after the submission deadline.
That’s it! Get writing!
Via: Neilsen Party.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!