- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Fright Into Flight
Deadline: May 14th, 2018
Payment: 5 cents up to 3k word (story cap is 5k), or $25 flat for reprints
Note: This one is for the ladies
Note: Reprints Allowed
This fall, Word Horde will be releasing Fright Into Flight, an anthology of horror stories by women themed around the idea of flight, edited by Amber Fallon. Whether you’re flying the unfriendly skies or safe on the ground, we think you’re going to enjoy this turbulent ride. Here’s a peek at the cover…
From the earliest depictions of winged goddesses to the delicate, paper-winged fairies of the Victorians, from valiant Valkyries to cliff-dwelling harpies, from record-setting pilots to fearless astronauts, women have long since claimed their place in the skies, among the clouds and beyond.
Word Horde presents Fright Into Flight, the debut anthology from Amber Fallon (The Terminal, The Warblers), in which women take wing. In these stories connected by the unifying thread of flight, authors including Damien Angelica Walters, Christine Morgan, and Nadia Bulkin have spread their wings and created terrifying visions of real life angels, mystical journeys, and the demons that lurk inside us all. Whether you like your horror quiet and chilling or more in-your-face and terrifying, there’s something here for every horror fan to enjoy.
You’re in for a bumpy ride..So fasten your seatbelt, take note of the emergency exits, hold on to your airsick bag, and remember that this book may be used as a flotation device in the event of a crash landing.
Amber Fallon has picked a great lineup of stories for Fright Into Flight so far, and we’ll be opening up preorders soon, but for now, we’re looking for a few more stories to fill in the gaps. As Amber says, “I want stories with wings and teeth, I want fear, I want heartbreak, I want depravity and darkness. I want to read things that will make me afraid to look up into the sky. The interpretation of the theme ‘flight’ is really up to you. You can go more traditional and give me stories of airports, airplanes, and demons on the wing or you could stretch it and offer tales of winged harpies, space crafts, flying beasts, angels, demons, or anything in between. The ideal story would be between 2,000 and 5,000 words in length.” If you’re a woman who has the right stuff, reprint or original, please drop Amber a line at amber[at]amberfallon[dot]net. This open call closes Monday, May 14, 2018, so move with the speed of Nike if you want your story to be considered.
- Taking Submissions: Underbelly Magazine Issue 3 - October 16, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec February Issue 2019 - October 16, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Triskaidekaphilia Volume 4: Haunted - October 16, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Colp – A Little Bit of Nonsense - October 16, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Deadman’s Tome: Psycho Holiday - October 15, 2018
- Taking Submissions: LampLight Magazine - October 15, 2018
- The Digital Pre-Order For ‘Trembling With Fear: Year 1’ Is Out! - October 15, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 10/14/2018 - October 14, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Dreamforge - October 12, 2018
- Video Refresh: Karen Runge Interview - October 12, 2018