Deadline: February 28th, 2018
Payment: Stories that are between 1000-3000 words will receive $5. Stories that are longer than that will receive $10 and a contributor’s copy
Unfading Daydream is looking for unique and exceptional fiction to be showcased in our quarterly literary magazine. We strive to feature stories within the genres that have inspired us (sci-fi, fantasy, horror, etc) as well as stories that feature LGBTQ+ themes.
We will be seeking submissions for our 4th issue in February 2018. The theme is ‘retold.’ Think famous stories retold, like sci-fi Jane Eyre or Cinderella with werewolves.
- We are open to established and new, emerging authors.
- In terms of length, we’re looking for stories between 1000 and 7000 words. Shorter or longer stories will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- No previously published works.
- Please no simultaneous submissions
- Reading periods are May, August, November, and February.
- All submissions must be in by 11:59pm CST on the last day of the reading period (May, August, November, or February)
- Please do not send submissions outside of our reading periods. Submissions received outside of reading periods will not be considered.
- Expect a decision within four weeks
- See full guidelines below
Stories that are between 1000-3000 words will receive $5. Stories that are longer than that will receive $10. All contributors receive a hard copy of the magazine. In time, we would like to pay contributors more!
- We accept submissions only by email.
- Free to submit!
- Please send your submission to submit [at] unfadingdaydream [dot] com with the title of ‘Unfading Daydream Submission’.
We want to see your unique sci-fi, fantasy, horror, etc. We prefer stories that are between 1000-7000 words, but if you feel that your 8000 word story or your 700 word story is brilliant, we’d love to see it.
The Submission Piece
- One submission per author per reading period please. Contributors are allowed to include one story on their submission*. Please attach the stories individually to the submission email.
*this is new as of the reading period for Issue 3*
- Unless there is a theme stated for a particular reading period, there is no theme.
- Previously unpublished works only.
- No erotica please. Romance is fine and dandy though!
- We would prefer the file format be MS Word or RTF. Please no PDFs or links to Google Docs! Please do not put the story in the body of the email.
- Each story should be double spaced and in an easy to read font like Calibri, Times New Roman, Arial, or Courier. Preferred font size is 12 as one of the editors has vision problems.
- Your name, address, and email should be on the left side of the first page header and the approximate word count on the right side. Example:
- The right side header on the pages following the first should include your last name, the story’s title, and the page number. Example:
- The title of the piece and the name you would prefer to be published under should be on the first page of the story before the text of the story. Example:
- If you have made an error during the submission process, please contact us rather than sending another submission email.
The Cover Letter
We say cover letter, but this is going to go in the body of the submission email.
- We want to know more about you! Briefly tell us about you and your accomplishments.
- Everyone has something unique about them. Between our editors, we have a third degree black belt, two cosplayers, and a computer programmer. And there’s only two of us. We want to know the interesting bits!
- And as we said before: keep it brief.
- In case you are chosen, please include a 3rd person, brief (less than 100 words) bio/byline
Ways to Get Banned
We’re pretty easy going people, but there are a few ways to get banned/blacklisted.
- Depictions of rape or sexual assault.
- Depictions of child molestation or brutalization of children.
- Any sexual depictions of children. Anyone under 18 is considered a child.
- Depictions of brutalization of women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, or any other marginalized people for reasons of hate.
- Depictions of animal abuse.
The Legal Bits
No one likes the legal bits, but we have to go through this.
We at Unfading Daydream reserve the right to the exclusive first run of your story as well as the rights to include your story in a non-exclusive yearly anthology. Rights to the story are claimed upon acceptance. After your story runs in Unfading Daydreams, you have the rights to publish it as you see fit.
Via: Unfading Daydream.
- Taking Submissions: TBA Scifi Asexual Romance - February 16, 2018
- WIHM: The First Chapter Of ‘Purgatech: Jess’ Horror’ - February 16, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Apparition Lit Magazine – April 2018 - February 15, 2018
- WIHM: Unzip Your Darkness - February 15, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Midnight Hour Volume 1 And 2 - February 14, 2018
- WIHM: But I AM a nice girl. - February 14, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Lit Mag - February 13, 2018
- WIHM: How To Horror - February 13, 2018
- Taking Submissions: The First Line – Summer 2018 - February 12, 2018
- WIHM: Horror’s Where My Heart’s At - February 12, 2018