Deadline: November 26th, 2019
Payment: $0.05 U.S. per word
Bronzeville is now open to submissions for an anthology called Twisted Love. Twisted Love will feature stories with unsettling and unconventional relationships. Give us stories of toxic relationships or lovers bound by crime or fetish. Think Soldier and Angel from Hap and Leonard, season 1:
We pay $0.05 U.S. per word for first Worldwide English publication rights for stories up to 3,000 words in length. We have no minimum length requirements for submissions; however, we will not consider submissions that exceed 3,150 words.
Preferred genres include crime, sci fi, fantasy, horror and YA.
Simultaneous and Multiple Submissions
Writers may submit one story to all open Bronzeville platforms. Those who submit a story to Twisted Love may also, for example, submit a story to Bronzeville Bee if it is open to submissions.
Writers may not submit more than one story to Twisted Love.
Writers may simultaneously submit to other venues. We ask that you notify us if the story is accepted elsewhere and withdraw the story from consideration.
Format your subject line as follows: Twisted Love Submission – Story Name – word count – genre
Example: Twisted Love Submission – ‘This is My Story’s Title’ – 2725 words – horror
Your story should be sent as an attached Word Document. We will not read PDFs, shared Google Doc files, RTF documents or any other type of document. Submissions that do not include an attached .doc or .docx file will not be processed.
The text in your story should be black.
The font should be a standard font, such as Times New Roman.
The text should be 12 pt or 14 pt.
The first line of every paragraph should either be flush left, with a blank line between paragraphs, or it should be indented half an inch using the format settings feature, not space-space-space-space-space or tab.
Do not underline text in your story. If text is intended to be in italics, put it in italics.
Refer to the guidelines found here for the information to present at the top of your story document.
Submissions that do not include the word count will be deprioritized for review.
Take time to study submission guidelines. Many publications use comparable guidelines; there is nothing unusual about ours, but we receive many submissions that have sloppy formatting (with some paragraphs indented and others not) and other abnormalities. Presentation matters. We’re paying pro rates per Duotrope guidelines; we expect writers to strive for professional presentation.
The best submissions include:
- the story title in the subject line with the word count and genre
- the words Bee Fiction Submission in the subject line
- no more than a short introductory line or paragraph citing the word count and genre of the story — NOTE: multiple paragraph queries for short fiction will not be read. You do not need to tell us about the inspiration for the story, which authors inspire you, what size shoes you wear, or anything else.
- again, the word count of the story in the email and/or subject line
- the author’s bio (approx. 100 words written in third person)
Absolutely no adults having sex with minors or anyone having sex with animals.
We will not publish works that appear to promote hate towards people based on their religion, race, gender or orientation. While we may publish a story about racism, or that has sexism or bigotry as a component, there’s a line between writing about something and endorsing it. When necessary, we will hire a sensitivity editor to review content.
“While we will consider stories that deal with sexual abuse, the acts should be alluded to but not detailed. We are not interested in publishing stories that would appeal to pedophiles or abusers.” – Sandra Ruttan
Word Count Limit
Include your story as a .doc or .docx attachment, a bio written in third person that is 80 words or less, and a high resolution photograph you own the rights to that can be published with your work.
Email Sandra Ruttan: [email protected]
Deadline: November 26, 2019
An auto-reply will be sent to every email received at the appropriate email account. Receiving the auto-reply is confirmation that your submission has been delivered.
Please read the auto-reply and double-check your submission to ensure that you included your attachment and all the requested material.
We are not currently considering reprints for Twisted Love.
Please note: Submissions with multiple stories or sent to the wrong address or that exceed the word count will not be processed. Writers will not be notified.
Via: Bronzeville Books.
- Taking Submissions: Air: Sylphs, Spirits and Swan Maidens – Elemental Anthologies #3 - November 14, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: After Dinner Conversation - November 14, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: tdotSpec Magazine - November 13, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Nefarious Nature - November 13, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Cossmass Infinities - November 12, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Murder Park After Dark Volume 3 - November 12, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Midnight & Indigo – Speculative Fiction / Horror Issue - November 11, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Scary Snippets: Christmas Edition - November 11, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Unfading Daydream - November 11, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Midnight In The Pentagram - November 8, 2019