Deadline: March 15th, 2019
Payment: 6 cents per word and a contributor’s copy
The tenet, “Pray for Peace but Prepare for War.” is weaved deep into the culture of the An’Fre women. Sorghum & Spear speaks to the global diaspora, African, Latin, Asian and Indigenous. Stories that highlight or reveal a new perspective of fantasy in this rich, inclusive world are ideal. We seek works that explore love in all its forms, diversity, fate vs choice, self-discovery, and supernatural talents, and original works that portray the strength, sisterhood, and diversity of women—hallmarks of our world-building efforts. Given the unique guidelines of our world, we ask that you review Sorghum & Spear and its world-building rules carefully prior to submission.
Special consideration will be given to women and writers of color whose personal stories may additionally lend to their storytelling.
To guide in the world building within SORGHUM & SPEAR, a complimentary digital copy of the Sorghum & Spear: Simadan comic and The Sorghum & Spear Worldbuilders Guide are available via email request at [email protected]with the subject “ATTN: S&S Reference Request”.
Open for Submissions:
January 1st, 2019 – March 15th, 2019
DEADLINE: March 15, 2019
Expected Publication: Summer 2019
Anthologist and Sorghum & Spear Creator: Dedren Snead
Editor: Sheree Renée Thomas
ORIGINAL FICTION length: 2000 to 7,500 words
Payment: 0.06 cents per word + contributor copy
Genres: Fantasy written with a shared world
Full Sorghum & Spear world guidelines and complementary digital comic copy available upon request at [email protected] with email subject “ATTN: S&S Reference Request”.
Email submissions to: [email protected]
No simultaneous submissions. No multi-submissions for short fiction.
Please use standard manuscript formatting when submitting your work:
Rights and Compensation: Payment: 0.06 per word for original fiction and a paperback copy of the anthology from Greene County Creative.
We are looking for previously unpublished works in English.
Seeking first world rights in English and non-exclusive right to continue to publish for the life of the anthology.
Submission method: Upload story as .doc or .rtf to niteblade.submittable.com/submit
Via; Sorghum and Spear.
- Taking Submissions: The Blue Route #22 - February 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Speculative City: Occult - February 18, 2019
- ‘Dominic’s Ghosts’ Blog Tour – And Get off My Lawn… Some Writerly Advice from 30 Years of Doing This - February 18, 2019
- WIHM: Knowing Your Industry - February 17, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 02/17/2019 - February 17, 2019
- WIHM: Be Brave, Be Delighted - February 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Apparition Lit Magazine (Short Window!) - February 15, 2019
- Creators Should Really Check Out The Available MasterClass Programs! - February 15, 2019
- Video Refresh: James Dorr Interview - February 15, 2019
- WIHM: Horror Is For Women - February 15, 2019