Deadline: June 1st, 2019
Payment: 5 dollars and 5 contributor copies or 25 dollars and 0 contributor copies.
SINCERELY, S.O.V.: a tribute to s.o.v. horror films
Woefully inept? Unbearably trashy? Unwatchable? Badly written? Over-acted? Hammy? Boring? Cheaply made? Redundant? Ridiculous? Goofy? Or…something more?
Since professional studios did not back these films, they didn’t have to pass through any conventional filters. The desire to make these films surpassed the limitations and obstacles, which rear their terrible serpent heads in: the seams.
Perhaps it’s THE SEAMS which is most interesting about these films. How, barely passably, did they achieve creature effects or kill sequences given their limitations in budget, actors, writing, and directing? What can we learn about the times, the creator’s lives, and forgotten class-struggles from bygone eras? What is the magical element present in these films which draws new audiences back to them despite their horrendously low ratings on IMDB?
The best of these films have something in common: sincerity—a sincerity to scare and shock and to create some simulacrum of believability in an artificial pulp world gone mad.
We are especially attracted to horror stories, novels, and films with grim settings. Think the lonely frozen outpost of The Thing, the terrible working conditions of King’s “Graveyard Shift,” the struggling writer of Ligotti’s “Alice’s Last Adventure,” or the jaded demiglaze over James Woods’ eyes in VIDEODROME.
Comic artists and writers are encouraged to submit. Experimentation and non-traditional approaches to storytelling are encouraged.
Deadline: June 1st, 2019. Token payment: 5 dollars and 5 contributor copies or 25 dollars and 0 contributor copies.
Submit to: psychedelichorrorpress at gmail dot com
Writer Length: 2k-4kish
Comic Artist Length: 5-20 pages of black and white sequential art
- Taking Submissions: Timeworn Literary Journal - April 23, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Shut Down Strangers & Hot Rod Angels - April 23, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Retro Horror - April 22, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Fairytale Dragons - April 22, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 04/21/2019 - April 21, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Recognize Fascism - April 19, 2019
- Video Refresh: First Draft Blues - April 19, 2019
- The Unholy Trinity: The Old Man - April 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: DreamForge Magazine - April 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Organic Ink: Volume Three - April 18, 2019