Deadline: April 30th, 2019
Beginning January 1st, Level Best Books will be accepting submissions for the seventeenth Best New England Crime Stories anthology. Seascape: The Best New England Crime Stories 2019 will be published in November and debut at The New England Crime Bake.
Please read all submission guidelines carefully before submitting stories. Submissions that do not follow the guidelines and procedures will not be considered.
- Stories must be set in New England or be written by a New England author* in the following genres: mystery, thriller, suspense, caper, and horror from any time period (historical, modern day, future, etc.).
- Please indicate which New England state is featured in your story (this is especially important for non-New England authors)
- Stories must not exceed 5,000 words.
- Stories must be previously unpublished in print or electronically, including self-published works (to include author websites).
- Stories from both previously unpublished and published authors will be considered.
- The Level Best editors will consider up to two stories from the same author per anthology**
- Stories submitted previously, and not published in the interim, are welcome, especially those that have been revised.
- New England stories are set in the six New England states: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. If you have questions about whether your story qualifies, please query us before submitting.
- We will not consider stories that feature graphic scenes of torture or sex.
- Submissions will be read blindly by the judges. Your story will be coded to insure anonymity before it is sent to the judges, therefore your name should not appear anywhere on the document.
- There is no entry fee.
- Level Best Books is a royalty paying and MWA approved publisher.
- You may simultaneously submit your story for consideration for the anthology and the Al Blanchard Award, which is judged separately.
*Please note: This is a change from previous years. Authors do not need to reside in New England to be eligible.
**While we will consider up to two stories by any author, only one story per author will appear in any anthology
How To Submit:
Submissions will be accepted from January 1 – April 30, 2019
- Please complete the form below. Emailed submissions to the editors will not be considered. Please use our submission form
- Please submit your story in Word .doc, double spaced.
- Please include page numbers on your document and story title in the header/footer (no author names, please)
- Please confirm no identifying information is contained in the Properties of your document
- Please type ## or The End at the end of your story
Via: Level Best Books.
- Taking Submissions: The Blue Route #22 - February 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Speculative City: Occult - February 18, 2019
- ‘Dominic’s Ghosts’ Blog Tour – And Get off My Lawn… Some Writerly Advice from 30 Years of Doing This - February 18, 2019
- WIHM: Knowing Your Industry - February 17, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 02/17/2019 - February 17, 2019
- WIHM: Be Brave, Be Delighted - February 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Apparition Lit Magazine (Short Window!) - February 15, 2019
- Creators Should Really Check Out The Available MasterClass Programs! - February 15, 2019
- Video Refresh: James Dorr Interview - February 15, 2019
- WIHM: Horror Is For Women - February 15, 2019