Deadline: January 31st, 2019
Haunted Waters Press seeks exceptionally small works of flash fiction to be showcased in Penny Fiction, a regular feature of the literary journal, From the Depths. Stories will also appear in the Penny Fiction Poster Collection. Tell us a story in exactly 19 words—no more, no less. Extra points will be awarded for those writers who adhere to the guidelines. Not really. There are no points. Just read the guidelines below and impress Penny with your ability to follow instructions.
We seek flash fiction stories told in exactly 19 words—no more, no less.
Original fiction only. No poetry, taglines, or jokes.
Please include a title for each story submitted.
One active Penny Fiction submission per author, per reading period.
Multiple stories per submission encouraged.
One is fine. Four is cool. Twenty is borderline obnoxious…we like obnoxious!
No previously published works.
Need inspiration? Follow Penny Fiction on Facebook for tips and prompts.
THE DREADED COVER LETTER
Include one interesting fact about yourself in 13 words or less.
Undertakers and cat herders earn extra points.
If we do not find you interesting, we reserve the right to make you appear more interesting.
No long lists of previously published works. No cut ‘n paste author bios.
Confused? Check out The Lovely Penny bios from any past issue.
$3.00 per published piece.
(That’s a professional rate of .15 cents per word— enough for a hot cup of coffee to sip on while you pen your next brilliant work of incredibly short fiction!)
Free to submit.
Accepting submissions in the months of December/January, March/April, June/July
Limited to 200 submissions per month. Submit early!
Notifications to be sent as decisions are made or within 60 days of closing.
Please review full guidelines prior to submitting,
Thank you. We look forward to reading your work.
- Ongoing Submissions: Historic Heroines - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: parABnormal Magazine - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Remain Magazine - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec May Issue 2019 - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Alternative Apocalypses - January 14, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Creatures - January 14, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 01/13/2019 - January 13, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Glass & Gardens: Solarpunk Winters - January 11, 2019
- Video Refresh: Taking The Next Step - January 11, 2019
- The Unholy Trinity: Unnatural Creatures – Aberrant Behavior - January 11, 2019