Deadline: April 30th, 2019
Thank you very much for considering BJ Bourg’s Flash Bang Mysteries. We will do our level best to ensure your experience is a pleasant and positive one.
SEE BELOW FOR SUBMISSION PERIODS
Fiction we seek:
- Original mystery/suspense of all types (police procedural, private eye, amateur sleuth, cozies, hardboiled, etc.). Basically, if it involves a crime and it is within our guidelines, we would love to consider it. (Updated: October 25, 2015)
- We want stories that feature believable characters who speak naturally, realistic situations that bleed conflict, and surprise endings that stay with us long after we reach the final period.
- We welcome new and established authors.
We publish four times per year:
- January / Winter
- April / Spring
- July / Summer
- October / Fall
Submission periods are limited to the following dates:
- October 1st to October 31st for January Issue
- January 1st to January 31st for April Issue
- April 1st to April 30th for July Issue
- July 1st to July 31st for October Issue
How to submit:
- We accept submissions via e-mail only.
- Send as .rtf or .doc attachment.
- Include brief cover letter in body of e-mail
- We do not accept simultaneous submissions. If you have not received an answer by publication date, feel free to submit your story elsewhere.
- Please submit one story per author at a time.
- E-mail submissions/queries to [email protected] (Updated: August 13, 2015)
- Subject line must read: “Flash submission: [your title]”
- (Updated: December 31, 2017)
- Font: Times New Roman, 12-pt
- Center title in all caps at top of first page, skip line, insert byline, skip line, and begin story.
- Use single line spacing.
- Skip line between paragraphs and do not indent at the beginning of paragraphs.
- Single-space after periods.
- Use two hyphens instead of the em-dash.
- Use italics to indicate flashbacks and thoughts.
- Use three centered asterisks to indicate scene breaks.
- Please don’t rely solely on spell-check. Proof your work very carefully and send us only your best, as multiple errors may be cause for rejection.
- We reserve the right to edit for grammatical errors and such. However, we will not rewrite stories we receive.
Please include the following at the end of the manuscript: (Updated: March 31, 2016)
- Name, mailing address, and email address for PayPal.
- BIO (up to 50 words)
- Flash fiction ONLY between 500 and 750 words
Pays on publication for first worldwide electronic rights, thirty-day exclusivity, archival rights, and the right to include story in yearly “editors’ choice” issue. Once the thirty-day exclusivity period has lapsed, you are free to submit your work elsewhere and all rights, other than those specified herein, revert back to you. (Updated: October 1, 2015)
- $20.00 one-time payment, via PayPal (Updated: December 31, 2017)
- (Updated: December 25, 2016)
- NOTE: Due to budgetary and time constraints, we are limited to publishing no more than ten stories per issue. (Updated: December 25, 2016)
What we won’t print:
- Graphic sex, gratuitous violence or vulgarity. Swear words are okay, as long as they are not used gratuitously.
- Anything that seeks to promote hate or discrimination.
What to include in the cover letter: (Updated: March 31, 2016)
- Author name
- Story title
- Word count
- A note certifying you are the creator of the work, you own the rights, and it has never appeared in any other venue in any form.
- Please let us know if it would be your first published story, because that would be cool.
Response time and method: (Updated: November 1, 2015)
- You should receive a decision within four to eight weeks, but it may take longer depending on the amount of submissions we receive.
- Acceptance and rejection notifications will be made via e-mail.
- We will not comment on rejected manuscripts.
- We reserve the right to reject any story for any reason.
NOTE: If we reject your story, please understand it simply means it is not the right story for us at this time. It does not mean your story is not well written, inventive, or perfect for another market. By all means, continue submitting the story elsewhere until it finds a home.
- Authors are responsible for the content of their stories and BJ Bourg’s Flash Bang Mysteries, its editors, creators, or affiliates accept no liability whatsoever for misuse of any kind.
Via: Flash Bank Mysteries.
- Taking Submissions: Timeworn Literary Journal - April 23, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Shut Down Strangers & Hot Rod Angels - April 23, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Retro Horror - April 22, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Fairytale Dragons - April 22, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 04/21/2019 - April 21, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Recognize Fascism - April 19, 2019
- Video Refresh: First Draft Blues - April 19, 2019
- The Unholy Trinity: The Old Man - April 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: DreamForge Magazine - April 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Organic Ink: Volume Three - April 18, 2019