Deadline: January 20th, 2019
Love can be magical or tragic; star-crossed or end happily ever after; an unrequited longing or two souls that always find one another.
Enchanted Conversation is looking for stories and sequential art (aka comics) that explore the different aspects of love set within the fairy tale, folktale, or mythic templates. Work can either be re-tellings of established stories or use original characters. Be bold, traditional, lyrical, or experimental in your storytelling and enchant us with stories set in a variety of locations around the world and time periods from ancient to modern.
What if a witch’s curse backfires and turns into true love? Did Medusa love Perseus before her tragic end? Why does the Land long for the touch of the Sea? Can the cold heart of a trickster be warmed by one who out-tricks him? Be bold, traditional, lyrical, or experimental in your storytelling. Think beyond palaces, princes, and princesses in their usual context. Take readers on a journey to long ago Japan, an enchanted forest in Russia, or magical root bridges in India – where the stage is set for characters to tell their unique tales of love.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- STORIES between 700-2000 words with our sweet spot being around 1,200 words. Payment flat rate: $10.00 U.S. dollars only
- The upper limit 2,000 word count is FIRM. Stories over 2,000 words will not be considered.
- SEQUENTIAL ART/COMICS: 1 to 5 pages in length. Payment flat rate $10.00 U.S. dollars only.
- PAYMENT WILL BE MADE THROUGH PAYPAL ONLY
- Absolutely none of the following: Sci-fi, dystopian, erotica, high fantasy, excessive world building, time-travel, futuristic or space travel.
- We are NOT ACCEPTING POETRY for this issue.
- We’re accepting only previously unpublished work.
- Only one work per writer per submission period.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine.
- Enchanted Conversation is buying first electronic rights with the possibility of using the work in a future print compilation. Once the story is published on the site, authors and artists are free to shop it elsewhere.
- Copyright will always remain with the author or artist.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Email all submissions to [email protected]
- Subject line of the email should be: FEBRUARY ISSUE 2018 – your last name – title of your work. Example: FEBRUARY ISSUE 2019 – Jones – “Story Title”
- A brief cover letter with the approximate word count of the story.
- Also provide a short (100 word max) author’s bio in third person and up to three links to the website or social media accounts that you would like to promote professionally if your story is chosen. These links are used to promote you as a writer via our website. We do not check out the accounts as part of the decision making process for the issue.
- Do not summarize your story in the cover letter.
- A PAYPAL ADDRESS must be included in the email. Without one, work will not be considered.
- Paste all submissions into the body of your email. ATTACHMENTS WILL NOT BE OPENED. We’re not kidding. Your email will be DELETED, UNREAD, if there is an attachment.
- Formatting for all stories: Single spacing. No indents on paragraphs. Double space between paragraphs. Use Arial as the font. Try to use American English word forms and punctuation.
- For comics: Insert images in the email in low-res jpeg format. 1-5 pages.
- You will get a confirmation email that your work has been received.
- No editorial feedback will be given on submissions.
- AUTHORS who were published in previous issues are asked to wait 6 months (from the date of their issue) before they submit again.
NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE
- Non-acceptance emails will not be sent out.
- The names of the authors whose works are chosen will be posted on the Enchanted Conversation website on JANUARY 28, 2019 for the February Issue.
Via: Fairy Tale Magazine.
- Ongoing Submissions: Historic Heroines - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: parABnormal Magazine - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Remain Magazine - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec May Issue 2019 - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Alternative Apocalypses - January 14, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Creatures - January 14, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 01/13/2019 - January 13, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Glass & Gardens: Solarpunk Winters - January 11, 2019
- Video Refresh: Taking The Next Step - January 11, 2019
- The Unholy Trinity: Unnatural Creatures – Aberrant Behavior - January 11, 2019