Deadline: September 2nd, 2019
DEATH’S STING is RBE’s first anthology on immortality.
Quite simply, we want Sword & Sorcery tales about immortals in the vein of Karl Edward Wagner’s Kane, Barry Sadler’s Casca, Steven Erikson’s Rhulad Sengar and Kallor, and Dennis O’Neil’s Rā’s al Ghūl.
Dark tales of those who return from death, victorious over death’s sting — or horrifyingly despite! Do not be writing horror though; think dark and low and gothic fantasies as you devise your S&S tales. Obviously – no matter how many times our protagonists die throughout your stories – they’ll die to live another day . . . and perhaps see another RBE anthology on immortality. RBE is seeking stories for this anthology that most closely deliver the dark sides of S&S more than its potential for humor or lightheartedness.
We will be accepting 13-15 stories, and stories should be 2k-9k words in length. Nothing shorter will be read, and our sweet spot is in the 5k-7k range. Don’t hold back – wow us with good ol’ heroic storytelling!
Submissions will remain open until we find the stories we want or through the end of Labor Day Weekend 2019. Response time on your first 500 words should be less than a week, while response time after we receive your full story should be less than two months. There are always exceptions, but we will strive to keep all informed.
Publication is intended for Christmas 2019. We will publish within months of closing, so depending upon acceptances, DEATH’S STING could appear any time before or after the target. Again, we will keep all informed. Payment of $30 flat per story shall be rendered after publication. Authors will receive electronic copies and permanent discount on print purchases.
- Taking Submissions: The Blue Route #22 - February 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Speculative City: Occult - February 18, 2019
- ‘Dominic’s Ghosts’ Blog Tour – And Get off My Lawn… Some Writerly Advice from 30 Years of Doing This - February 18, 2019
- WIHM: Knowing Your Industry - February 17, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 02/17/2019 - February 17, 2019
- WIHM: Be Brave, Be Delighted - February 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Apparition Lit Magazine (Short Window!) - February 15, 2019
- Creators Should Really Check Out The Available MasterClass Programs! - February 15, 2019
- Video Refresh: James Dorr Interview - February 15, 2019
- WIHM: Horror Is For Women - February 15, 2019