Deadline: November 30th, 2018
What We Want – Fiction
SUBMISSIONS ARE CURRENTLY OPEN FROM NOVEMBER 1, 2018 to NOVEMBER 30, 2018!
BROADSWORDS AND BLASTERS is looking for quality submissions in the pulp magazine tradition. What does that mean? We want your tales of:
- sword and sorcery;
- westerns (Weird or otherwise);
- horror (Cosmic, Southern Gothic, visceral, and psychological);
- detective tales;
- two-fisted action;
- retro science fiction.
- Tales should feature strong characters and visceral action. No navel-gazing.
- Despite having great action, detailed settings, and iconic characters, much of old-school pulp is unfortunately emblematic of limited cultural ideals that we have no interest in propagating. As such, we encourage diverse characters and welcome stories that subvert the standard pulp formula.
- We prefer clear descriptions. While we appreciate poetic prose, the reader has to be able to understand what is happening.
- For rating guidelines (language, descriptions) we are looking at a hard R-rating as the maximum we will publish. That is to say, we don’t shy away from cursing, gore, or sex, but such content needs to serve the story, not be there for the sake of being there.
- Word count: Submissions must be between 2,000 to 5,000 words. Anything outside these limits will be rejected.
- Please submit stories in either .rtf, .doc, or .docx. Please use standard submission format. http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html
- We do not accept reprints.
- We do not accept multiple submissions. Please submit only one story at a time.
- We do accept simultaneous submissions, but please tell us in the body of the email that you are submitting to more than one publication. If the story is accepted elsewhere, please let us know as soon as possible.
Payment and terms
- We pay a flat $15.00 per story upon publication. All payments will be made through paypal.
- All published contributors will receive a comp electronic copy.
How to Submit
- Email your submission to [email protected]
- Use the subject line Submission: (the title of your story)
- Include a short cover letter in the body of your email. Mention the title of your story. The cover letter should also include a short biography (100 words or less). Don’t forget to mention any social media accounts (Facebook, twitter, etc) you would like to have included with your bio.
- Our goal is to reply within 2 – 4 weeks of the submission window closing. If you haven’t heard from us after 30 days of the window closing, please send a query to [email protected]. Please include the title of the story you are querying about.
Via: Broadswords And Blasters.
- Taking Submissions: Arsenika – Winter 2018 Issue - November 20, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Thuggish Itch: Theme Park - November 20, 2018
- Holy Stock Photo Black Friday Deal! - November 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: The Journal of Compressed Creative Arts - November 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Every Day Fiction January 2019 - November 19, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 11/18/2018 - November 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Bennington Review - November 16, 2018
- Video Refresh: The Crossroads - November 16, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Oklahoma Pagan Quarterly Spring 2019 - November 15, 2018
- Death’s Head Press Is Open To Novels, Novellas, And Collections! - November 15, 2018