Deadline: August 1st, 2018
Payment: $5 for flash fiction and $10 to $20 (depending on length) for short stories
Issue #11: A is for Aliens, Apocalypse and Armageddon (Fall/Winter 2018)
Alien abduction, human experimentation and assault by anal probe. Deadly deep space. Invasive artificial intelligence. Invaders from Mars, extraterrestrial beings and big-eyed, naked Greys. It’s the end the world as we know it, and we do not feel fine.
A note from the editors: we’re looking for boundary-trampling, genre-splicing stories here. Skip the standard brain-eaters and ho-hum zombies. Give us something different, something much, much worse. Submission deadline: 8/01/2018
We are not afraid.”
Body Parts Magazine is an online literary magazine of horror, erotica, speculative fiction, essays and art. Each themed issue honors Eros and Thanatos, the Greek gods of libido and mortido—life and death. We celebrate the vast and various expressions of dreams and darkness, our primitive desires and urges, and seek to encounter—and embrace—those shadowy monsters who dwell in the dimly lit corners of human experience.
Submissions for each issue are accepted through the last day of each reading period (if specified). You are welcome to submit material for any issue, simply indicate which issue you would like your work to be considered for.
Be advised: we generally begin reading submissions for a particular issue after the close of its submission deadline, so don’t panic if you haven’t heard back before then.
Body Parts accepts well-written, thoughtfully structured horror, erotic horror, speculative fiction, dark fantasy (including fairy tales and mythology), exceptional stories about ghosts, ghouls, monsters and wretched creatures, Gothic fiction, and all combinations of the above. Our boundaries are few and far between.
Before you submit, please note that:
We no longer accept reprints.
Emails with attachments and stories submitted after the deadline will be deleted unread.
Flash Fiction: 1,000 words or fewer.
Short Stories: up to 8,000 words.
Serialized or Longer Fiction: query us with total word count.
We accept your original artwork and photography reflective of an issue’s theme. Email a query with a link to your art online (web, Dropbox, Google album, etc.) Payment varies.
Essays & Interviews
We accept short essays and interviews (up to 1200 words) about topics that fit within our themes, people integral to the type of work published in Body Parts (writers, artists, photographers, etc.). Query first. We do not accept book/game/music reviews. Payment varies.
Body Parts is a paying market. We offer an honorarium of $5 for flash fiction and $10 to $20 (depending on length) for short stories and nonfiction to authors, and $5 to $20 for artwork and photography published in our journal.
We request exclusive rights as long as the issue in which your work appears is current. Once the subsequent issue has been published, you’re free to pursue reprint publication with other journals, anthologies, etc.
How to Submit
- Cut and paste your text and submit it within the body an email.
- In the subject line, include the word Submission, the issue number you’re submitting to, and the title of your piece. (Example: Issue #10 “A Horror Story”)
- Please include a publication-ready bio and your website/social media sites.
- If your piece is selected for publication, we’ll send you a “Congratulations” email and request your PayPal email address and an author photo. Response times can be lengthy so simultaneous submissions are welcome. Please email us to withdraw your work from consideration if it’s placed in another publication.
- Email submissions to: bodypartsmagazine (at) gmail (dot) com.
Via: Body Parts Magazine.
- Taking Submissions: Crash Code - June 19, 2018
- Video Refresh: Rejection – The Ugly Word - June 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: WhimsyCon 2019 Anthology - June 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Corpus Press Untitled 2019 Non-Themed Horror Anthology - June 18, 2018
- 5 More Ongoing Spots To Submit Children’s Short Stories! - June 18, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 06/17/2018 - June 17, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Terra! Tara! Terror! - June 15, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Test Patterns : Creature Features - June 15, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: Tough - June 14, 2018
- ‘Scouse Gothic’ Blog Tour – A brief history of Liverpool. - June 14, 2018