Deadline: May 31st, 2018
Payment: $50AUD and a contributor’s copy
This will be the 5th anthology in the
Things in the Well series, to be published in July 2018. Submissions Deadline: end of May
Email: [email protected] when your story is complete, and as good as it can be!
By all means draw inspiration from them, but I’m not looking Alien/Predator fan-fiction, or rehashes of old sci-fi classics (I’m looking at you, Asimov-fans…) I want stories that are outstanding, different, and memorable! I want something new and exciting! New psychological terrors involving time travel; primal fears triggered by something new that threatens humanity, and new hopes that we may conquer them; new creatures that will make people want to go out and buy the Halloween mask; and new stories of the weird in the outer-reaches of time and space. If you need more ideas, take a look outside the typical Sci-Fi genre… Read Clive Barker’s short story ‘The Skins of the Fathers’ or HPL’s ‘The Colour out of space,’ or go back further and look wider to William Hope Hodgson’s ‘The House on the Borderland,’ or Brian Lumley’s ‘The House of Doors’ and ‘Necroscope’ series. So, something memorable, dark, and/or something that offers hope and/or despair for humanity… I envision the SciFi element as merely the stage for the story to unfold, cracking our world(s) open to reveal a truer story beyond the genre’s superfice. Gee, that sounds pompous, but you get my (space) drift. I anticipate a (star)fleet of top-notch submissions as usual, so I’m after memorable stories, a sense of dread, and some level of believability and internal consistency would be more important than a lengthy treatise or a quick shudder.
And yes, alien viruses, space pirates and cosmic encounters can be believable if written well.
Before putting fingers on keyboards (or pen to paper) you would do well to read my Editor’s blog at http://thingsinthewell.webs.com/editor-s-blog or buy and read some of our previous themed anthologies on Amazon. (You may have to look for them in your stores, or ask for them to be ordered via Ingram)
Payment: We pay $50 AUD for a story, as well as a copy of the book in paperback form,
or three copies of the book instead if you prefer.
Reprints: I’m not looking for reprints except by prior invitation.
Word Count, etc. Word count is expected to be 5,000 – 8,000 words, although I am flexible on the basis that if the story fits, it should wear it. Having said that, although it’s a flat-rate payment ($50AUD), I don’t think a writer should limit themselves based on the payment rate.
Thanks, and good luck in providing me with a close encounter of the literary kind!!
Steve Dillon, Things In The Well series editor.
Via: Things In The Well.
- The Horror Tree Presents…An Interview with Edward Ahern - April 21, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Beyond the Infinite – Tales from the Outer Reaches - March 23, 2018
- The Horror Tree Presents…An Interview with Marcus James - March 10, 2018
- The Horror Tree Presents… Ellis Paling - February 3, 2018
- The Horror Tree Presents… I.E.Lester - January 25, 2018
- The Horror Tree Presents…Josh Finney & Patrick McEvoy - December 15, 2017
- The Horror Tree Presents…C.A.Verstraete - November 25, 2017
- The Horror Tree Presents…Claire Fitzpatrick - November 4, 2017
- The Horror Tree Presents…An Interview with Rebecca Fraser - October 14, 2017
- The Horror Tree Presents…An Interview with Lee Battersby - September 16, 2017