Deadline: June 30th, 2018
Two years ago, The Geeky Press released Bad Jobs & Bullshit: It’s Unlikely That We’ll Be Missed. We loved the experience (and the writing) so much that we decided to continue the series.
We’re pleased to announce a call seeking nonfiction and narrative essays, poetry, fiction, and short scripts for an anthology collection titled Bad Jobs & Bullshit: Summer Jobs.
As you can surmise, this collection is about the sometimes sweaty, sometimes sentimental, and always entertaining hours we’ve spent at the shittiest summer jobs imaginable. Whether it’s staffing third shift at a rural gas station or hunching under the soul-sucking fluorescent lights of a corporate desk farm, everyone has a story of that job. And the bullshit that went along with it.
- Open Call: January 1 – June 30
General Submission Guidelines
- Essays and Creative Nonfiction: Submit completed work no more than 5,000 words
- Fiction + Short Stories: Submit completed work between 1,000 and 5,000 words
- Scripts: no more than 15 pages
- Poetry: Submit completed work; no more than 5 pages. You must submit each poem individually!
- Photo Essay: No more than 5 black-and-white pictures and 100 words per picture
STYLE AND SUBJECT
We publish fiction, nonfiction (creative nonfiction, essays), screenplays, scripts, black-and-white photography, and poetry. There are standards. We can’t articulate them.
Please keep yours brief, though we do like to hear from people who like the magazine. We’re not concerned about writing degrees or past publications, so don’t be daunted if you don’t have an MFA or much in the way of previously published work.
Please don’t use colors or weird fonts. (We strip both out before we start the design process.) Visual poetry is not accepted.
- Must be a Word doc or docx, 2010 or newer
- Easily readable 12 pt. font, no columns
Please follow one of these style guides for formatting. Any of these are acceptable formats. If you do not submit your script in one of these formats, we may ask you to resubmit.
Please include a 150-200 word bio with your submission. We will use that on our contributor page. What you send is what we will publish, unless it’s too long. Then you’re leaving your bio fate in our hands.
PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED WORK
What about simultaneous submissions? If you submit to other places, drop us a note. And then don’t be a jerk. Let us know as soon as you know.
Bad Jobs & Bullshit: Summer Jobs will be published using the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Creative Commons license, and each author will retain the rights to his or her work.
YOU GET PAID
Contributing authors receive a direct and equal division of the royalties. If we publish ten contributors, each person receives ten percent of every sale. Payments are handled directly through Lulu.
WHAT WE’LL PUBLISH
The combination of all accepted work will be published as a paperback book and an eBook by The Geeky Press. Bad Jobs & Bullshit: Summer Jobs will be distributed at major retail outlets including Amazon Barnes & Noble, Apple, and all library catalogs through Lulu, an on-demand publishing clearinghouse.
Contributing authors will receive an equal division of the royalties. The book will be published using the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Creative Commons license, and each author will retain the rights to his or her work. Authors can remove their work from the book at any time because the book will be published using on-demand technology.
- Taking Submissions: Crash Code - June 19, 2018
- Video Refresh: Rejection – The Ugly Word - June 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: WhimsyCon 2019 Anthology - June 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Corpus Press Untitled 2019 Non-Themed Horror Anthology - June 18, 2018
- 5 More Ongoing Spots To Submit Children’s Short Stories! - June 18, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 06/17/2018 - June 17, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Terra! Tara! Terror! - June 15, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Test Patterns : Creature Features - June 15, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: Tough - June 14, 2018
- ‘Scouse Gothic’ Blog Tour – A brief history of Liverpool. - June 14, 2018