Deadline: March 31st, 2020
In this special issue of our magazine, we’re asking the big questions about tomorrow coupled with the clarity of hindsight applied to potential futures.
What does the future look like? How will today’s technologies and events affect the way humans live tomorrow, a decade from now, or in two centuries? Is reality a giant plot to fool humans? Is free will truly possible, or are aliens or machines controlling our lives? Is there other intelligent life in the universe? Will we ever meet life from other worlds, or escape the bounds of our solar system, our bodies, or our minds?
Stories should speak to the human element (even if the human element is translated/demonstrated through a non-human character) rather than focusing exclusively on exciting whizz-bangs. Dark tones aren’t necessary, but undercurrents of conspiracy are welcome. The approximate genres we’re looking for are Science Fiction/Future Tech, Dystopian, Post-Apocalyptic, or any other genre that is appropriate, including Solarpunk, as long as it’s based in our reality and magic of any sort is given a plausible explanation. We’re not looking to confine writers to a certain sphere; rather, we’re hoping writers will use this opportunity to practice limitless thinking and surprise us with their stories.
Stories should be between 1500 and 7500 words in length.
Deadline for submission: 31 March 2020.
Once accepted, writers will have two weeks to negotiate any suggested edits and return finalized manuscripts to us. There’s wiggle room on this, depending on our time frame, so ask if you need help.
We’re limiting submissions to one story per author. No multiple or simultaneous submissions. No reprints. Original, unpublished fiction only. We will consider tie-in stories if they can stand on their own.
Please see our submission guidelines for details on pay rates and rights.
- Taking Submissions: Alternate Realms Magazine – Future Watch 20/20 - August 29, 2019
- Story Worms: Let’s Talk About Voice - July 24, 2019
- Story Worms: It’s Better Together - April 17, 2019
- Story Worms: Finding Your Tribe - January 16, 2019
- Story Worms: You are More Than your Wordcount - November 17, 2018
- Story Worms: Biting the Bullet - July 22, 2017
- Story Worms: What’s the Worth of Permafree? - May 14, 2016
- Ongoing Submissions: Ink Stains - April 8, 2016
- Women in Horror Month Special: Behind the Veil - February 22, 2016
- Women in Horror Month Special: Interview with Eeva Lancaster - February 19, 2016