Payment: 1 cent ($.01) per word to a maximum of $50. Poetry pays $20 flat.
- Nonfiction from 2,000 to 7,500 words. Scholarly and/or critical articles pertaining to Ligotti or associated authors (see below). As for contemporary authors to add to this list, Livia Llewelyn, S.P. Miskowski, Matthew M. Bartlett, T. E. D. Klein, Gemma Files, Ramsey Campbell, Allyson Bird, Laird Barron, Nicole Cushing, Mark Samuels, and many more have produced work that we would love to see subjected to intelligent critical analysis and discussion.
- Literary Horror Fiction from 750-6,000 words. Note: We are looking for original work inspired by Ligottian and/or related themes (regarding which, see the list on our main page).
- Poetry at a length of no more than 50 lines, dealing with subjects and themes that fall within our area of interest.
- Artwork that similarly addresses our subject matter.
The following authors and their work are of especial interest to Vastarien:
- Charles Baudelaire
- Thomas Bernhard
- Aloysius Bertrand
- J.L. Borges
- William S. Burroughs
- Angela Carter
- Louis Ferdinand Celine
- E.M. Cioran
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman
- Douglas Harding
- Shirley Jackson
- U.G. Krishnamurti
- H.P. Lovecraft
- Vladimir Nabokov
- Emile Nelligan
- Michael Persinger
- Edgar Allan Poe
- Maurice Rollinat
- Arthur Schopenhauer
- Bruno Schulz
- Paul Valery
- Peter Wessel Zapffe
LENGTH: See the specific guidelines above for length requirements for different types of submissions. Additionally, in no case will a submission over 7,500 words be considered for publication without prior approval. Words subject to inclusion in the overall word count shall include the body of the submission and any explanatory footnotes; citations shall not be included in the overall word count.
PAYMENT AND RIGHTS: We pay 1 cent ($.01) per word for nonfiction and prose fiction, to a maximum of $50. Poetry pays $20 flat. Payment for artwork is negotiable. We purchase first serial and electronic rights. Upon publication, rights revert to the author, but we retain the right to continue selling back issues of the journal and the right to archive your work online.
HOW TO SUBMIT: Submission is via Submittable only:
ACCEPTABLE FILE TYPES: DOC, DOCx, and RTF
RESPONSE TIME: We aim to respond to submissions within two weeks (though final selection can take longer). If you have waited longer than 60 days, feel free to query us at [email protected], with QUERY plus the title of your submitted work in the subject line.
INTERNATIONAL AUTHORS: Vastarien welcomes submissions from authors outside the United States.
DIVERSITY STATEMENT: Vastarien believes in promoting a range of excellent writing and artwork from authors of diverse backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations. We encourage submissions from authors and artists traditionally underrepresented in horror and pieces that reflect these varying perspectives.
VASTARIEN DOES NOT ACCEPT THE FOLLOWING:
- Multiple submissions
- Unsolicited reprints (defined as essays, articles, stories, or poems that have already appeared anywhere online or in any other published form)
Via: Vastarien Journal.
- Taking Submissions: Organic Ink: Volume One (Poetry) - March 21, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Journal of Compressed Creative Arts - March 20, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Bumper Book of British Bizarro! - March 20, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Chew on This! - March 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Sherlock Holmes: Adventures in the Realms of Edgar Allan Poe - March 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Dying Earth - March 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: SINCERELY, S.O.V. - March 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions:: Switchblade: Tech Noir - March 18, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 03/17/2019 - March 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: LampLight Magazine - March 15, 2019