Tough is a crime fiction journal publishing short stories and self-contained novel excerpts of between 1500 words and 7500 words, and occasional book reviews of 1500 words or fewer. We are particularly interested in stories with rural settings and stories that intersect with the weird or occult. To clarify: think H.P. Lovecraft modernized, without the racist baggage. Think Fatale, by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. Think Hellblazer. We are not interested in science fiction or fantasy, except for stories in which those elements accentuate or play a major role in a crime. We are a crime journal. Our book reviews will reflect these interests.
Tough publishes four or five times per month on Mondays, for which we pay a flat rate of $25 per story or book review–we don’t take reprints, poems, or essays–in exchange for first world serial rights to publish the submission on the website and as of 2018, in a periodically produced print issue, the first of which is due in July 2018. Payment comes via check mailed on publication or via Paypal by special arrangement. Query for details or to pitch reviews.
Queries and submissions should be formatted in .doc, .odt or .rtf and sent to [email protected] MOBI or PDF book review copies–our preferred methods–can be sent to the same address. Otherwise, review copies can be sent to: Tough, 119 Bradstreet Avenue, Revere, MA 02151.
Via: Tough Crime.
- Taking Submissions: Crash Code - June 19, 2018
- Video Refresh: Rejection – The Ugly Word - June 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: WhimsyCon 2019 Anthology - June 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Corpus Press Untitled 2019 Non-Themed Horror Anthology - June 18, 2018
- 5 More Ongoing Spots To Submit Children’s Short Stories! - June 18, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 06/17/2018 - June 17, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Terra! Tara! Terror! - June 15, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Test Patterns : Creature Features - June 15, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: Tough - June 14, 2018
- ‘Scouse Gothic’ Blog Tour – A brief history of Liverpool. - June 14, 2018