Payment: 1 cent per word
Reprints Allowed though not preferred
WHAT DO YOU ACCEPT?
We accept fantasy, science fiction, and horror.
WHAT DO YOU PREFER?
We are seeking original, thought-provoking weird fiction.
WHAT DO YOU PAY?
Contributors receive 1¢ a word.
IS THERE A READING FEE?
No, we do not charge a reading fee.
IS THERE A WORD LIMIT?
Yes, we ask that contributors limit their submissions to 10,000 words. With that said, we prefer longer, more complex works to flash fiction.
WHEN DO YOU ACCEPT SUBMISSIONS?
We accept submissions year round. Those received from May 1 to October 31 will be published in the fall issue. Those received from November 1 to April 30 will be published in the spring.
DO YOU ACCEPT MULTIPLE SUBMISSIONS?
Yes, you may submit multiple works. Receiving multiple rejections, however, can be devastating for a writer, so we recommend that you submit your works one at a time.
DO YOU ACCEPT SIMULTANEOUS SUBMISSIONS?
Certainly, we encourage you to submit your work to multiple publishers. However, please inform us if your submission is accepted elsewhere.
DO YOU ACCEPT REPRINTS?
Yes, we do accept reprints. We prefer, however, to publish original work.
HOW SHOULD SUBMISSIONS BE FORMATTED?
We prefer Microsoft Word files (either .doc or .docx). Also, we ask that you include your name and email address on your submission. Decisions concerning font, margins, and style are left to you.
DO YOU ACCEPT POETRY OR NONFICTION?
No, we do not accept poetry, essays, or reviews.
DO YOU ACCEPT ART OR PHOTOGRAPHY?
No, we do not accept art or photography.
DO YOU COMMENT ON SUBMISSIONS?
No, we choose not to comment on submissions because we believe that the best writers have followed their own instincts. Those that cater to a specific publisher tend to produce work that is dull, formulaic, and devoid of subtlety. On rare occasions, however, we do feel moved to comment on a submission.
ARE ANY SUBJECTS TABOO?
No, unlike most magazines, we do not automatically reject submissions because of violent, obscene, sexist, homophobic, or racist content. We are not necessarily seeking such works, but we do not reject submissions simply because others might find their content offensive.
HOW LONG IS YOUR RESPONSE TIME?
We try to respond to submissions within a week. If we do not respond to your submission within a month, please email us.
WHAT RIGHTS DO AUTHORS RETAIN?
By submitting to Hypnos, you (as the author) grant our magazine first publishing rights. We do not, however, print anthologies, convert stories to audio files, or publish online. Those rights you retain. Furthermore, you retain the copyright to your work, and after publication, all rights revert back to you.
Via: Hypnos Magazine.
- ‘Still Dark’ Blog Tour – The Most Important Class I Ever Took - January 23, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Temporal Fractures: [Mis]Adventures in Time - January 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Schlock! Horror! - January 22, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 01/21/2018 - January 21, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Lost Souls and Robots & Artificial Intelligence - January 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: The Internet is Where the Robots Live Now Anthology - January 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Nefariam: The Element of Crime - January 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: She’s Lost Control - January 17, 2018
- Taking Submissions: City In The Ice - January 17, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Nightscript Volume 4 - January 16, 2018