Quarterly magazine: $1.00 up to 1,000 words, and one tenth of once cent ($0.001) per word for stories with 1,001 to 10,000 words. Stories selected for ‘Weekly Flash’ will receive $1.00.Online featured stories shall receive an additional payment of $1.00 for stories with up to 1,000 words, and $2.00 for stories with 1,001 to 10,000 words.
What we want and don’t want
Empyreome is seeking original works of short fiction under 10,000 words. Our preferred story length for the magazine is between 5,000 and 7,000 words. Stories submitted for the Weekly Flash series must be no longer than 1,000 words.
Although we prefer science fiction and fantasy, we will consider any story with a speculative element. If your story does not have a speculative element, please do not send it to us.
We like stories in which interesting people do interesting things and make interesting things happen. We do not like stories in which flat characters are merely acted upon by forces beyond their control, and nothing interesting happens.
We are particularly interested in stories that offer hope, joy, and inspiration to the reader, but we will consider all submissions that are well-written and artful.
In general, if the stories in Empyreome were films rated by the MPAA, they would receive a rating of PG-13 or younger.
If your story includes profanity, sexual situations, or violence, these elements should be essential to the story. Please do not send stories that glorify violence, use profanity without purpose, or depict graphic sexual scenes.
What we’re paying
As a fledgling publication, Empyreome currently offers a token payment for stories up to 10,000 words. Payments are in U.S. dollars payable via PayPal within 15 business days after publication.
Stories selected for our quarterly magazine will receive $1.00 for stories with up to 1,000 words, and one tenth of once cent ($0.001) per word for stories with 1,001 to 10,000 words. Stories selected for ‘Weekly Flash’ will receive $1.00.
Some stories from each quarterly issue will be selected to be featured on our website. Featured stories shall receive an additional payment of $1.00 for stories with up to 1,000 words, and $2.00 for stories with 1,001 to 10,000 words.
At the time of contract, you will have the option of donating your token payment back to the magazine to help keep us running.
What we’re paying for
By allowing us to publish your story, you grant us First World English Rights and First Electronic Rights, after which time all rights revert to you, the author. You also grant us the nonexclusive right to archive your story on our website in perpetuity or until such time as we choose to remove it.
What we don’t accept
We do not accept simultaneous submissions, multiple submissions, or reprints.
How to submit your work
Send your submissions to [email protected] with subject line SUBMISSION: STORY TITLE (WORD COUNT).
In the body of your email, provide a brief cover letter that includes:
- Your name (and pseudonym, if applicable) and contact information
- Your story title and word count
- A short author bio (150 words or fewer)
- If you are submitting a flash story (<=1,000 words), indicate a preference for the Weekly Flash series or the magazine.
Attach your story as an .rtf, .doc, or .docx. No other file formats will be accepted.
Your submission must be in standard manuscript format (see Shunn). Submissions that do not adhere to this format may be rejected unread and without explanation.
Our response time
We try to respond to submissions within 2 weeks, but it can sometimes take longer. If we are holding your story for consideration, we will let you know as soon as possible. Please do not query for at least 4 weeks after submitting. Send queries to[email protected] with subject line QUERY: STORY TITLE.
If we accept your story
We will contact you by email with contract terms. See an example contract here. If your story has been selected for feature on our website, it will be noted in your contract.
Best wishes and happy submitting!
- Trembling With Fear 09/23/2018 - September 23, 2018
- The Horror Tree Presents… An Interview with Dean M. Drinkel - September 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Black Labyrinth Anthology I : Possession - September 21, 2018
- Video Refresh: Finding Your Identity - September 21, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Speculative City - September 20, 2018
- Taking Submissions: The Irregular Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - September 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Detective Fantasy Anthology - September 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Thuggish Itch: Devilish - September 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Tales From The Moonlit Path Halloween 2018 Issue - September 17, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: The No Sleep Podcast - September 17, 2018