Ongoing Submissions: Dread Imaginings
Payment: 1 cent per word
Theme: Horror stories with original monsters
This is a personal project, and I’ll be surprised if these do not change as it unfolds. That said, I try to be prompt with any updates. For now, here’s the news:
What I’m not looking for:
- Multiple or simultaneous submissions
- Re-submissions of previously rejected MS (if I am interested in seeing a revision of something, I will specifically request it)
What I am looking for:
- Stories up to 4000 words (firm), previously unpublished on paper or electronically.
- Stories that read fast. Don’t bog the tale down with a lot of explication.
- Stories set in the contemporary world, rather than historical fiction or tales set in fantasy/science fiction landscapes.
- Stories that present your protagonist’s encounter with the horrific, disturbing, uncanny, weird, macabre, and/or grotesque.
- Stories that are character-focused. That encounter should have some impact upon your protagonist’s outlook and/or actions as the story unfolds.
- Stories that succeed by using concrete detail to show what happens and convey why it is important, rather than trying to tell the reader why. Resist the urge to explain.
- Originality. Creature-features are welcome, but your own monsters will probably be an easier sell than vampires, zombies, werewolves, et. al.
How I want it:
- Please use standard MLA manuscript format, presented in twelve-point Calibri or Times New Roman
- Send your submission as an attachment in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format to [email protected] Documents sent in other formats will be deleted unread.
- The subject line of your submission email should be: SUBMISSION: Your Name, “ Story Title.”
- In the body of your email, briefly tell me about yourself and your publication history.
What I plan to do with it:
- I pay a penny a word (US). Payment is upon publication and only via Paypal.
- With that payment, I am buying first electronic rights of your previously unpublished work. I ask that you not publish the piece elsewhere (online or on paper) during the first six months it is published with me.
- I plan to publish just one story a month, each and every month.
- I plan to keep each story available on the site for a year from its original publication date.
- Copyright and all other rights remain the property of the author.
- I have no plan at this time to archive materials past the one-year publication period. Any changes to this will be subject to author approval.
- If in the future there is interest in publishing a print anthology collecting material previously published on the site, I will contact authors to discuss the acquisition of additional rights.
- I’m not sure what response times on submissions will be, but for an initial ballpark I will shoot for a month. I generally do not comment on rejected MS.
Via: Dread Imaginings.
Never miss a post from our team by signing up!