Deadline: September 30th, 2018
Payment: $300 advance on royalties, with 40% royalties on net revenue from print sales and 30% royalties on net revenue from digital sales thereafter.
Excession Press is now open to submissions!
Our reading period runs July 23rd 2018 – Sept. 30th 2018.
What We Want:
- Excession Press is looking for original manuscripts 30,000 – 60,000 words in length that can be described as horror, science fiction, weird western, or dark fantasy. Our word count limit is firm, +/- a few hundred words.
- We want quality, character-driven narratives with imaginative settings and creative conflicts that will engage readers.
- We want strong, memorable prose – every bit as important as the story itself.
- We prefer our fiction to be surreal, Grotesque, and thoughtful, but more than anything, we want it well-written and well-paced.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable but we ask that you let us know at time of submission, and we ask that you give us notice if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
- Here’s a list, in no particular order, of authors we admire with books and stories we’d like to see more of in the world:
- Iain Banks
- Katherine Dunn
- Stephen Graham Jones
- China Miéville
- William Gibson
- Jeremy Robert Johnson
- Flannery O’Connor
- Mieko Kanai
- Chuck Palahniuk
- Octavia Butler
- Joe Hill
- Brian Evenson
- K. J. Bishop
- Philip K. Dick
What We *DON’T* Want:
- No reprints or incomplete manuscripts.
- No books that are part of a series – your submission should function as a standalone narrative.
- No short story collections, poetry, or non-fiction.
- No YA or children’s stories.
- No stories that function primarily as erotica.
- No experimental formats or images – submissions should be text only.
- No queries. Please have something submission-ready.
- File must be in a .doc, .docx, or .rtf format.
- 12 pt. Times New Roman font.
- Double-spaced with .25″ indents and 1″ margins.
- The first page should have author name, an email address, title of your submission, and total word count. Every page should have author name, title, and page number.
How to Submit:
- Email submissions as an attached file to [email protected]
- Include in the body of your email a brief (3-5 sentence) description of your submission and an even briefer (1-2 sentence) description of yourself.
- We’re a small team. If we like your manuscript, expect a response 3-6 months from date of submission. We’re unlikely to send rejections but will do so in noteworthy cases.
Payment and Rights:
- Excession Press offers a $300 advance on royalties, with 40% royalties on net revenue from print sales and 30% royalties on net revenue from digital sales thereafter.
- Authors will have the ability to purchase their titles at cost.
- Excession Press will be granted the right to publish and distribute your work worldwide in paperback and ebook formats. All other rights will be retained by the author.
Via: Excession Press.
- Taking Submissions: The Irregular Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - September 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Detective Fantasy Anthology - September 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Thuggish Itch: Devilish - September 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Enchanted Conversation Magazine October 2018 Issue - September 17, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Tales From The Moonlit Path Halloween 2018 Issue - September 17, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: The No Sleep Podcast - September 17, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 09/16/2018 - September 16, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Gravely Unusual #2 - September 14, 2018
- Video Refresh: Andy Graham Interview - September 14, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Colp: Suplex - September 13, 2018