- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Darkling Canadiana – A Darkling Around the World Anthology
September 15, 2017
Deadline: September 15th, 2017
Payment: $0.01 per word
Ends on September 15, 2017
With the first book in this series, you’ll be meeting Darkling, our horror host. She’s dark, she’s cute, she’s sassy, she’s dead … and we can’t wait to introduce you to her!
Darkling takes us on a horrifying tour of strange, dark landmarks and creature encounters in a collection of horror stories set in Canada. We are looking for 13 stories, one for each province or territory of the great Lumberjack Country. The stories in this anthology will be interwoven by the ghostly narrator, Darkling, who has her own story to tell and a dark, sassy personality to keep readers coming back for more. Submissions must be self-contained stories with no mention or reference to Darkling (stories that reference Darkling or her role in any way will be rejected).
Your story must be set in one of Canada’s 13 provinces or territories and include it’s culture and historical landmarks in a way that prevents the story from being told anywhere else:
- Alberta (AB)
- British Columbia (BC)
- Manitoba (MB)
- New Brunswick (NB)
- Newfoundland and Labrador (NL)
- Northwest Territories (NT)
- Nova Scotia (NS) CLOSED FOR SUBMISSIONS
- Nunavut (NU)
- Ontario (ON)
- Prince Edward Island (PE)
- Quebec (QC) CLOSED FOR SUBMISSIONS
- Saskatchewan (SK)
- Yukon (YT)
We are specifically looking for horror stories or dark fiction. Crossovers with other genres are fine (science fiction, fantasy, etc.) but there must be a horror element or dark tone and fit the overall theme. Anything goes – vampires, werewolves, zombies, ghosts, yetis, wendigos, demon possessions, haunted houses, serial killers and other well-used tropes – but be original in how you interpret these staples of horror and make sure these creatures of or in Canada are suited to the geography.
Both Canadian and Non-Canadian writers are welcome to submit as long as the settings are geographically and historically accurate.
Word Count: 3,000 to 6,000 words. Stories less than 2,750 or more than 6,250 will be returned unread unless requested by the editor.
Payment: $0.01 per word
All submissions are read blind. Do not include any identifying information (name/address) in the document or story headings. Include this information in the cover letter only. Follow the Shunn Manuscript Format (minus the contact information) – include the story title and page numbers (but not your name) in the headers.
No reprints unless requested. No simultaneous or multiple submissions. Multiple submissions from the same author will be deleted unread unless requested by the editor.
Please help support this project through out Kickstarter campaign and by sharing the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lycanvalleypress/darkling-canadiana-a-darkling-around-the-world…
- Taking Submissions: Spoon Knife 4: A Neurodivergent Guide to Spacetime - July 17, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: Nightlight Podcast - July 17, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec November Issue 2018 - July 16, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Bikes in Space Trans & Nonbinary Edition - July 16, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 07/15/2018 - July 15, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Gathering Storm Magazine - July 13, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Trickster’s Treats – Tales from the Pumpkin Patch #2! - July 13, 2018
- The Importance Of The Author Homepage - July 13, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Not Just A Pretty Face - July 12, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Twilight Madhouse Volume 4 - July 12, 2018