Deadline: June 11th, 2017
Payment: $10 and contributor’s copy
slated for fall of 2017 (roughly early September for release, official title TBA). This will be a sister
anthology to our first release, Shadows in Salem, that came out in September of 2016. We want this collection to share the theme of Salem, MA ON HALLOWEEN NIGHT through the years. Set your story in 1955, set your story in 1999, that is up to you, but it must be dark, gothic, or horror related! We will post years that are submitted as they arrive in our e-mail so you can keep track and so we don’t have twenty stories set on Halloween night in 1626. We are from Salem, so we know the area well, as do our local readers, so please take that into consideration in your research! Some witches are okay, but please remember that there is so much more to this city than the witch history! We are hoping to select one story per decade for variety, but we do not expect to fill *every* decade between the founding of Salem (1626) and today. Our anthologies generally end up at around twenty stories, so keep in mind, you don’t have to limit yourself to the last 100 years.
- Instructions: Send your submission to [email protected] for consideration with “Halloween Salem Submission“ AND THE YEAR YOUR STORY IS SET as the subject line, for example, “Halloween Salem Submission: 1922“, but please read our guidelines below!
- Submit by: June 11th, 2017 Word Count: 1,000-6,000
- Content Requirements: Your story must take place in Salem, MA on Halloween (10/31). The time-period and content is your choice, but DO be unique and DO make it SPOOKY! We will continue posting a running list of the years/decades that have already been submitted to ensure you have a chance to pick a year that has not been submitted already. Of course, we are looking for the best, so if there are many submissions set in 1977, we’ll try to choose the best of them. Yes, Salem is ‘The Witch City’, so you can utilize this in your writing, but please be unique if you choose this subject matter!
- List of Years we’ve already received submissions for: NONE! (Because we just opened the call for submissions!)
- Payment: Accepted submissions will be awarded payment in the way of $10 upon printing, paid via PayPal. Writers may also choose to accept their payment in the form of extra copies of the anthology. It may not be much, but we are a small and humble press just getting our start and it’s all we can offer at this time, besides our excellent social media promotion and beyond (we post daily, often, and spotlight our writers regularly). If your submission is accepted, you will also receive a printed copy of the anthology!
- Format: Format should be in standard manuscript format and submitted as .doc,
.docx. Unfortunately, we cannot accept reprints at this time. Please include a brief cover letter introducing yourself along with your submission.
- Response Time: Please be aware that it may be six to eight weeks (or more) before you receive a response from FunDead Publications, we often wait until after the close date to send acceptance e-mails to ensure we select the best content for our readers. Our submission load is often fluctuating, but we read and respond as quickly as we can. If it is a simultaneous submission, please let us know.
- Diversity Statement: We at FunDead Publications believe diversity is what makes fiction wonderful and unique and we welcome submissions from writers of every race, religion, nationality, gender, and sexual orientation.
Via: Fun Dead Publications.
- Taking Submissions: Corporate Cthulhu - March 28, 2017
- Taking Submissions: This Twisted Earth (vols. 2 & 3) - March 27, 2017
- Trembling With Fear 03/26/2017 - March 26, 2017
- Ongoing Submissions: Shoreline of Infinity - March 24, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Southern Fried Autopsies - March 23, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Untitled Rice Paper Press Horror Anthology - March 22, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Heroic Fantasy Quarterly - March 21, 2017
- Ongoing Submissions: The Forge - March 21, 2017
- Ongoing Submissions: Conduit - March 20, 2017
- Taking Submissions: The Edge: Infinite Darkness - March 20, 2017