Deadline: July 31st, 2017
Payment: $5 usd
Note: Reprints Accepted
Are you a poet? An essayist? A short story writer? An artist? If you have a piece you’d like to submit for the next issue of The Violet Hour, we want to see it!
Send us an email to the address listed below and attach any written work in PDF or Word.doc format, and all artwork in jpeg format to submit it for consideration. With the exception of submissions for the open December anthology, don’t forget to use at least one of the themes chosen for each issue. (For details about issue themes, launch dates and more, see the above “News & Events” posts.)
The Violet Hour Magazine is published quarterly, with three themed issues (published at the end of April, August and October) and one annual open-themed anthology (published at the end of December). Submission periods for the issues are as follows:
1. December 15th to March 31st (for April issue)
2. April 15th to July 31st (for August/September issue)
3. September 7th to October 14th (for October issue – *IMPORTANT:
October is a flash-submission issue – see September 7th News & Events post for details.)
4. January 1st to November 14th (for December open-anthology issue)
*Please Note: Submissions made to any of the themed issues that are not selected for publication in their relevant issue will not be automatically considered for the December open-themed anthology. Contributors are asked not to re-submit work already previously submitted to The Violet Hour, unless invited to do so by one of our editorial staff.
*Also Note: At this time, The Violet Hour Magazine will consider previously published works, as long as it has been a minimum of 6 months since the work’s most recent publication. If your submission has previously been published elsewhere, please include the date and name of the publication in which it appeared, and a link to the publication’s website in the body of your submission email.
Fiction or Non-Fiction: Maximum of five thousand words, double-spaced; one piece per submission (for pieces of 1,000 words or less, you may include three such pieces per submission).
Poetry: Maximum of three pages per poem; up to five pieces per submission.
Art: Submissions may include any form of visual art; up to ten pieces per submission.
Each author or artist selected to appear in an issue of The Violet Hour will receive a royalty of $5 per selected piece, along with a complementary digital copy of the issue.
Via: Violet Hour Press.
- Taking Submissions: Augur Preview Issue - April 28, 2017
- Taking Submissions: The Audient Void: A Journal of Weird Fiction #4 - April 27, 2017
- Taking Submissions: The Misbehaving Dead - April 26, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Welcome to Miskatonic University - April 25, 2017
- Taking Submissions: The Beauty of Death 2 – Death By Water - April 24, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Deadman’s Tome: Horrors of War – Disposable Heroes - April 24, 2017
- Trembling With Fear 04/23/2017 - April 23, 2017
- Taking Submissions: A Midas Clutch: Tales of Opulent Horror - April 21, 2017
- Ongoing Submissions: Likely Red - April 20, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec August Issue 2017 - April 19, 2017