Deadline: October 1st, 2017
Payment: $20.00 – $40.00 and a contributor’s copy
Fiction: All stories must end with the last line provided. The line cannot be altered in any way, unless otherwise noted by the editors. The story should be between 300 and 5,000 words (this is more like a guideline and not a hard-and-fast rule; going over or under the word count won’t get your story tossed from the slush pile).
Also, we understand that writers may add our last line to a story that they are currently working on or have already completed, and that’s cool. But please do not add our last line to a previously published story and submit it to us. We do not accept previously published stories, even if they have been repurposed for our last lines.
All Stories: Writers should include a two- to three-sentence biography of themselves that will appear in the magazine should their story run.
Multiple Submissions: We don’t mind if you want to submit multiple stories for the same issue. However, it is unlikely we will use more than one of your stories in the same issue.
Submissions: We prefer you send manuscripts via e-mail to submission (@) thelastlinejournal (dot) com. We accept stories in MS Word or Word Perfect format (we prefer attachments). Please do not send .pdf versions of your story. Make sure your name and contact information, as well as your bio, are part of the attachment. Stories also can be sent to The Last Line‘s post office box (PO Box 250382, Plano, TX, 75025-0382). No manuscripts will be returned without an accompanying SASE with sufficient return postage. Here is the last line for 2017:
Benjamin was a man of his word.
Due date: October 1, 2017
Notification: We don’t make decisions about stories until after each issue closes. We typically send notices out within two to three weeks after the issue’s deadline to everyone who submitted a story. You can also check the home page of the Web site as we will indicate each issue’s production status there.
Payment: We pay on publication: $20.00 – $40.00 for fiction (all U.S. dollars). We also send you a copy of the issue in which your piece appears. You’ll receive your money and issue at the same time.
(Note to our international writers: Postage cost for sending author copies overseas is becoming outrageous, so we are reducing international author payment by the amount it would cost to send one author copy overseas. However, if you would like to receive an electronic version of the issue [PDF] instead of a hard copy, author payment will not be changed.)
Via: The Last Line.
- World Fantasy Award Nominations 2017 - July 26, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Biweekly Bite - July 26, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Menagerie de Mythique Anthology Call: Mythical Creatures Anthology - July 25, 2017
- Taking Submissions: The Asterisk Anthology—Round 4: Nautical Nightmares - July 25, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Below the Stairs – Tales from the Cellar - July 24, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Tales From the Fluffy Bunny - July 24, 2017
- ‘The Calling’ Blog Tour – Brent Abell On “Writing What You Know” - July 24, 2017
- Trembling With Fear 07/23/2017 - July 23, 2017
- Ongoing Submissions: Silver Blade Magazine - July 21, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Literary Erotica Anthology: Haunted - July 20, 2017