Welcome to The Arcanist!
We’re a new Medium-based literary magazine that focuses on fantasy and sci-fi flash fiction. We love magical worlds full of dragons and speculative looks at the future, and we think these two genres are important to our culture, which is why we want to give writers of these genres a new place to publish their work. One that pays them, too. (Yay!)
Since we’re brand new, we’re opening up submissions for our weekly publication schedule (we aim to properly launch within the next couple months).
So, let’s get on with it:
What We Talk About When We Talk About SF/F Flash Fiction
Fantasy and sci-fi stories are incredibly engaging for audiences of all ages. Look at the impact The Lord of the Rings has on pop culture or how Nineteen Eighty-Four still informs the masses today. These stories are important, entertaining, and thought-provoking. They deserve more platforms.
We are that new platform. There are many Medium-based lit mags out there, but rarely any that focus solely on these genres. Those days are over, friends. The Arcanist is a place devoted to SF/F content primed for a digital reader on the go. It’s also a place where writers can get paid for their work, which we feel is super important because, you know, bills and takeout are important aspects of life.
You Didn’t Even Tell Us the What You Want
Oops. But hey, now you know where we stand.
Anyway, we want stories that are 1,000 words or less. We know this is a tough task given the lengthy, world-building heavy nature of the genres, but we believe in you!
Here’s a breakdown: 1K words (or less), a proper story (with a beginning, middle, and end), and a good character (to love or hate or feel at least something about). These stories should rooted in sci-fi or fantasy. We understand that SF/F encompasses many different sub genres (like horror, for example) and we welcome those, too.
If you want a good guide on this type of writing, Faith M. Boughan over at Fantasy Faction has a great write up about common mistakes. Check it out here.
What Are Some of the Things You Don’t Want?
No hate speech, racism, or any other offensive materials. This is a no-brainer.
No extremely vulgar stories filled to the brim with naughty words. We’re not saying that those can’t be good stories, but they’re stories we don’t want.
No excessive gore or violence unless it is integral to the story. If it’s in there just to be gross, it’s not for us.
No fan fiction. We want originality.
We would also prefer that your story be published here first. If you have already published it elsewhere, we can look but it’s a tough sell.
Didn’t You Say Something About Payment?
Why yes we did. We pay our fiction writers $50 for accepted submissions. We will reach out directly to you for payment details upon accepting your story. We pay using PayPal or Venmo.
Okay, So How Do I Submit?
You can submit by following this link and filling out the simple form. We do not accept paper submissions of any kind. If you would rather email us, read the linked form and follow the instructions at the bottom.
Here’s that link again. Just in case.
How Long Until I Hear Back?
We give each submission a thorough examination, which takes time. Since we are just starting out, it’s hard to give an exact estimate. We promise we will get back to you, though, and request that you be patient!
Can You Wrap All This Up? I have Stories to Write.
Sure, here’s everything in a nutshell:
- SF/F stories only (including their sub genres)
- 1,000 words or less.
- Stories must be actual stories. Not poems or elegant descriptions — actual stories that follow an arch.
- You can submit using this form.
- We pay $50 for the fiction stories we accept.
- If you have any questions, drop us a line at editor(at)thearcanist.io
Thanks for your interest! We look forward to reading your submissions.
Via: The Arcanist.
- Trembling With Fear 07/23/2017 - July 23, 2017
- Ongoing Submissions: Silver Blade Magazine - July 21, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Literary Erotica Anthology: Haunted - July 20, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec November Issue 2017 - July 19, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Deadman’s Tome September Issue - July 18, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Autumn’s Harvest Anthology Call: Autumn Fantasy Anthology - July 17, 2017
- Trembling With Fear 07/16/2017 - July 16, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Untitled Indie Shelves Horror Anthology - July 14, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Furry Frolics - July 13, 2017
- Taking Submissions: ‘The Heart of a Devil: Horror and Dark Fantasy Villains Anthology’ - July 12, 2017