We are currently OPEN to fiction collection, novella and novel submissions. (9-14-2016)
Guidelines for all submissions:
- JournalStone is currently accepting manuscripts with the following genres: Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Paranormal in the Young Adult and Adult markets. We reserve the right to consider the subject matter and how best to utilize it. JournalStone does not practice censorship of any author’s work.
- In your cover letter, tell us the word count, genre, and a brief synopsis of the plot. Submissions without this information cannot be reviewed.
- Please attach your manuscript in your email as a .doc,. docx or .rtf file. Do not paste your text in the body of the email.
- The title of your email subject line and file name should read: “Submission [type] – [title] – [genre] – [last name]”. For example: Submission Novel – Carrie – Horror – King.
- For proper formatting of your manuscript, please follow the Shunn way.
- We consider the quality of the editing in our review process. Please fully proof read and edit manuscripts prior to submission.
- Do not submit a work-in-progress. We only accept completed works.
- Allow two to three months for a response to your submission. We may respond more quickly, but we cannot guarantee timing.
- Please do not send follow up e-mails. We will notify you when we place your work in the queue, and will contact you when we have completed our review.
- Inform us if this is a previously published work. If you have self-published the same work, we would like to know the details about your effort. You may include website links in your email, to direct us.
- Email your cover letter and completed manuscript to jess [at] journalstone.com
What happens when you submit to JournalStone?
JournalStone will review your submission and decide whether we can publish it. Often, authors receive comments about their text, prior to any approval, with suggestions for improvements, or clarifications in the story. While this does not guarantee a firm acceptance, it can certainly help, and can ease the next few steps.
If your work is approved for publication, our president, Christopher C. Payne, will contact you with a contract for your review. Upon acceptance of that agreement, we will begin to move your manuscript through the editing and development channels. This part of the process can take a few, to several months. You will be involved the entire way.
Once editing and development is complete, your new book will be printed in proof form, and it will be reviewed again for any additional work. You will get a chance to see it, too! When approved in that first printed form – your book is ready for the release! JournalStone will begin to distribute and promote your book, to make the world aware of it.
*These are general guidelines to the publishing benefits provided; the contract serves as the final agreement, between JournalStone (publisher) and all authors, for work undertaken.
$150 advance, plus royalties to be paid every 6 months, plus 10 free copies of the print edition
Dark Park Publishing is currently accepting well-written novels and novellas in all areas of Dark Fiction.
Works can be Horror, Dark Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Western, or Dark Comedy in any genre. What we are looking for, besides an entertaining read, is unique storytelling. Whether it’s a strikingly original premise, a mash-up of genres never done before, or a tale told in an unconventional (but effective) style, if your work presents fresh ideas and a distinctive voice, we’re interested!
Submission Guidelines (please read fully before submitting):
• Complete works should be 25,000+ words for Novellas and 50,000+ words for Novels.
• Work must be written in English.
• Work should be submitted as a Microsoft Word doc/docx. (See details below.*)
• Work must be received in proper manuscript format. See example HERE. (Except, please put only one space after a period, not two.)
• Work must be original to author. Persons submitting must hold copyright to the material, or have legal authority to submit work on behalf of author.
• Work cannot have been previously published in any form or market.
• No simultaneous or multiple submissions.
*Authors wanting to submit their work for consideration should initially send only the FIRST 50 PAGES OF THE WORK (double spaced) as an attachment. In the body of the email, author should provide a brief (1-3 sentences) description of the storyline, and word count of complete work.
Submissions should be emailed to [email protected]
Use “Submission – Title of Your Work – Your Last Name” as your subject line (and don’t forget to attach your work).
Authors of works accepted for publication by Dark Park will receive a $150 advance, plus royalties to be paid every 6 months, plus 10 free copies of the print edition of the book when available.
**Follow @DarkParkPub on Twitter for the latest book updates.
Via: Dark Park Publishing.
Payment: $100 per story
GigaNotoSaurus accepts Science Fiction or Fantasy (or any combination thereof) from five thousand to twenty-five thousand words. We could wax eloquent describing the kinds of stories we like, but it wouldn’t be useful; there are dozens of things we don’t know we like until we try them. Send us that story you really, really believe in–the one, maybe, that quickly ran out of places to submit it to because it’s so long.
We do want a variety of settings, styles, viewpoints, and backgrounds. This includes but is not limited to cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, and genders.
GigaNotoSaurus publishes one story a month. We pay $100 per story on acceptance. We ask for first serial rights and non-exclusive, indefinite archival rights, though the author is welcome at any time to request a story be removed from the archive.
We do not accept simultaneous submissions (stories sent to more than one market at a time), nor do we accept multiple submissions–only send us one story at a time. We do not accept reprints. Your story must be previously unpublished.
To submit, please email your story to [email protected] as an attachment. Please use Standard Manuscript Format, and make the attachment an RTF file. The subject line of your email should read “Submission: [Title]” where [Title] is the title of your story. You should receive a reply within thirty days.* Please do not query before thirty days has passed.
If you wish to include a cover note, the only information we require is your name, the title and length of your story, and your three best publication credits if you have any. (If you don’t, don’t worry about it. Just leave that line off.) Do not include a bio–if we buy your story, we will ask for biographical information. Do not include a summary or description of your story–your work will stand or fall on its own.
*Editor’s Note: As of March 2015, expect a longer response time for novellas (seventeen thousand words and up) — please allow forty-five to sixty days for a reply. Queries for novellas are appreciated after sixty days.
Payment: $25 and a Contributor’s Copy as well as 40% Royalties payable every quarter
Sanitarium Press are looking for the best new horror writers out there, in all sub-genres. Sure we all want to be the next Stephen King or James Herbert. Hey and guess what, shorts are where everyone starts, now its your turn. First off the rules of submissions:
What we are looking for at Sanitarium Press:
- The best horror you can write in 10,000 – 30,000
- The imagination is the key – remember that, if it sticks in your head or gets under your skin as you try to sleep at night – we want to read it.
- We are after stories that capture the reader. Any time, place or theme
- We aim to respond back within 3 weeks.
What we are not looking for at Sanitarium Magazine:
- No child molestation or alluding to
- No rape or torture stories or necrophilia
- No erotica, sex is ok but not on every page.
- No fan fiction or anything that is not your own creation
- It must have a beginning, middle and end – no excerpts from longer pieces.
- 10,000 – 30,000 words (I know its been said a few time but some people…)
- Formatting and proofreading is a must, we will not do your work for you. If you are selection some formatting may take place but overall it is up to you. If you need help on formatting we can offer this service for a fee.
- We will only take submissions through the correct means, register, log in and follow the form.
- DOC / DOCX or RTF only, this will speed up the reading process
- Sorry but English language only, if you need to put Latin in for the sake of the story make footnotes!
- Only one submission at a time, if you have multiple stories then follow the procedure for each submission.
- Please tell us if a submission has been picked up by someone else, if you have sent to other publishers.
- In some cases some small editing will take place, but if there is anything major that we feel is needed we will contact you before hand.
- Have fun writing
- Although we cannot pay per word, you will received a printed contributors copy as well as a digital copy and $25 for first worldwide publishing rights.
- 40% Royalties payable every quarter
By agreeing to the above, any work submitted and published by Sanitarium Press. Will be subject to First Worldwide Electronic Rights and First Serial Rights. Please be aware that if your work is accepted and you wish to submit it at a later date to another publication, this may be seen as a reprint and may shorten your odds of getting it published. By submitting your work to us, shows you understand this.
Thank you for taking the time to read our guidelines and we look forward to reading your work.
The Sanitarium Team.
Via: Sanitarium Press.
APART FROM THE ABOVE EXCEPTIONS, WE ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED FOR NOVEL/NOVELLA/COLLECTION SUBMISSIONS EXCEPT BY INVITATION.
WE ARE WILLING TO LOOK AT AGENTED MANUSCRIPTS IN ALL GENRES LISTED BELOW.
For us, novellas range from 30,000 to 40,000 words. Novels and collections are 40,000 words and above.
We are not looking for anything smaller than this.
PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE PAGE, RIGHT TO THE BOTTOM, BEFORE SUBMITTING.
Reprints: Please query.
Please read the entire page before doing anything. Then, read it once more.
What we want:
- Military thrillers, military sci-fi, or military horror
- SHTF, apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic horror (there are too many bad zombie tales out there already, so if you have the shambling (or running) dead in your story, it better be damn good)
- Biological/Creature horror ie. beasties rising up against man, giant creatures devouring cities etc.
- YA in the above genres
- Collections in the above genres
- Memoirs of crime or addiction
- Memoirs of military service or action. We particularly like Special Forces
NOTE: Unique projects will always be considered.
If you have something that is unable to be classified, contact us via the Contact Page
We offer 50% of gross income on all electronic and print sales
Please include a brief ‘hello, this is who I am’ in your email body as a cover letter.
Blank emails with attachments will be deleted.
Pitches MUST be attached as a doc file. DO NOT include in the body of the email.
How to format your pitch:
Your pitch should include the following items in this order:
1. Contact information top left. Total wordcount top right.
2. Title and author name centred
3. Full synopsis; around 400-600 words
4. Author bio
5. Any promotion ability you have, such as website, blog, social media etc. We WILL promote your work, but expect you to do the same.
6. The first three chapters or 10,000 words (whichever comes first) in the same document
- Courier or Times New Roman; 12pt; italics as they will appear. No underlining. MINIMAL FORMATTING.
- Double spaced
- DO NOT use tab or spacing to indent lines. Use ‘styles’ only. If unsure, do not indent at all
- ONE SPACE after periods
- NO LINE between paragraphs unless a line-break is required
Send submissions to: email@example.com
Subject line should be: genre_[title]_[surname]
We will respond within 48 hours to acknowledge receipt of your submission.
We will make contact within 2 weeks – at the most – in regard to whether we want to read your novel.
If you haven’t heard back in three weeks from the date of pitch submission, send us an enquiry via firstname.lastname@example.org
The subject line of this email should be in the format: pitchenquiry_
Via: Cohesion Press.
We all know that every story has its own length, a set number of words needed to tell the story it needs to tell. Some are very clearly short stories — under 10,000 words — while others that require more (20,000 words or more) are novellas or novels. But what about those in-between stories, the stories that fall awkwardly between the 10,000 and 20,000 words.
Recently we’ve been receiving stories that fall into that category and we were at a loss as to what to do with them. Too long for an anthology, but not quite long enough to stand on its own as a short novel (novella), these novelettes often fall through the cracks and it’s a shame because often they are quite good but publishers just don’t know what to do with them. That’s why we decided to launch a new line: GRAVE MARKERS.
What’s a GRAVE MARKER and how will they differ? Those stories accepted to the GRAVE MARKER line will be published as stand-alone offerings in digital format only. Early the following year all of the GRAVE MARKERS published the previous year will be compiled into a print collection of novelettes. We expect the competition for this line to be fierce, as we will only be accepting 4 to 6 novelettes during the course of the year, so send us your very best.
Interested? Send your submission to [email protected]
Via: Grinning Skull Press.