We are currently OPEN to fiction collection, novella and novel submissions. (9-14-2016)
Guidelines for all submissions:
- JournalStone is currently accepting manuscripts with the following genres: Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Paranormal in the Young Adult and Adult markets. We reserve the right to consider the subject matter and how best to utilize it. JournalStone does not practice censorship of any author’s work.
- In your cover letter, tell us the word count, genre, and a brief synopsis of the plot. Submissions without this information cannot be reviewed.
- Please attach your manuscript in your email as a .doc,. docx or .rtf file. Do not paste your text in the body of the email.
- The title of your email subject line and file name should read: “Submission [type] – [title] – [genre] – [last name]”. For example: Submission Novel – Carrie – Horror – King.
- For proper formatting of your manuscript, please follow the Shunn way.
- We consider the quality of the editing in our review process. Please fully proof read and edit manuscripts prior to submission.
- Do not submit a work-in-progress. We only accept completed works.
- Allow two to three months for a response to your submission. We may respond more quickly, but we cannot guarantee timing.
- Please do not send follow up e-mails. We will notify you when we place your work in the queue, and will contact you when we have completed our review.
- Inform us if this is a previously published work. If you have self-published the same work, we would like to know the details about your effort. You may include website links in your email, to direct us.
- Email your cover letter and completed manuscript to jess [at] journalstone.com
What happens when you submit to JournalStone?
JournalStone will review your submission and decide whether we can publish it. Often, authors receive comments about their text, prior to any approval, with suggestions for improvements, or clarifications in the story. While this does not guarantee a firm acceptance, it can certainly help, and can ease the next few steps.
If your work is approved for publication, our president, Christopher C. Payne, will contact you with a contract for your review. Upon acceptance of that agreement, we will begin to move your manuscript through the editing and development channels. This part of the process can take a few, to several months. You will be involved the entire way.
Once editing and development is complete, your new book will be printed in proof form, and it will be reviewed again for any additional work. You will get a chance to see it, too! When approved in that first printed form – your book is ready for the release! JournalStone will begin to distribute and promote your book, to make the world aware of it.
*These are general guidelines to the publishing benefits provided; the contract serves as the final agreement, between JournalStone (publisher) and all authors, for work undertaken.
Note: This is a crime fiction market but if you’ve got a mix of crime fiction and horror it ‘might’ be worth checking out. No payment details are included though as a HarperFiction imprint chances are it will be pro-rates.
Specifications for submissions for Open Submission at KillerReads
KillerReads is an e-first imprint of HarperFiction at HarperCollins.
Mission statement for KillerReads:
We are on the lookout for commercial crime and thrillers ranging from police procedurals, to psychological thrillers, to high-concept thrillers and beyond.
We are looking for fantastic writing that hooks us, making us want to turn the page and find out what happens next; and characters that stay with us long after we finish reading. We want to feel moved, compelled, shocked, and intrigued.
We want to give a voice to exciting emerging talent in the genre that may otherwise go unheard.
If this sounds like you, we’d love to read your novel!
Email address for submissions: [email protected]
- KillerReads is a subsidiary of HarperCollins Publishers (“HarperCollins”), The News Building, 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF
- All submissions must be sent by email to the designated Open Submission email address: [email protected]
- Submissions that have been sent by post or means other than email to the correct email address will not be accepted.
- Each submission must contain:
- Full length novel with sequential page numbering included, with the first page being the title page;
- Synopsis of whole book, including the complete plot and the story’s end (maximum 500 words); a one paragraph summary of the book; a short list of the main characters; and
- Author biography, to include any blogs and/or social media information, any creative writing courses attended, short stories published, prizes won, literary or media mentors and contacts, etc (maximum 1 page).
- The submission must be in Word format throughout all documents; all documents must be submitted at the same time, attached to a single email (the attachments each to be clearly individually marked as ‘manuscript’, ‘synopsis’, and ‘author biography’); the chapters of the manuscript are to be in one document, NOT sent as separate documents. In addition, each of the three documents should be marked IN THE FILE NAME with the author’s name and the title of the novel and this information should also be marked on every page of each document [using the Header tool].
- In the ‘Subject’ area at the top of an entrant’s submission email, entrants should put the title and their (pen) name.
- In the body of the email, authors must provide their full name, address, and phone number.
- Submissions that do not meet requirements of points 4-7 inclusive shall not be read.
- Any submission containing incorrect, false or unreadable information will be rejected.
- Any submission made on behalf of or for another person, or multiple submissions, will not be read.
- Novels submitted must be within the crime thriller genre
- All novels must be in prose.
- All novels must be written in English.
- Submissions must never have been self-published.
- Submissions must never have been posted on publishing websites, forums or access platforms such as (but not limited to) Wattpad, Smashwords, Lulu, FanFiction, CompletelyNovel.
- All novels must never have had an ISBN.
- Authors must be prepared to undertake editorial work on their novel.
- Authors must be prepared to undertake publicity and promotional responsibilities.
- No correspondence between KillerReads, HarperCollins or the hopeful authors can be entered into, unless at KillerReads’s request, and we will not respond to unsolicited communications.
- KillerReads shall endeavour to read the submissions as quickly as possible.
- There is no obligation on KillerReads to publish any of the entrants to the Open Submission, in print or in ebook, or to offer any sort of editorial advice.
- KillerReads’s decision is final; we cannot guarantee that unsuccessful authors will be notified.
- You will retain all copyright in your submission and by submitting your novel you grant HarperCollins a licence to copy your submission and share it with its affiliates solely for the purpose of reviewing it.
- Neither HarperCollins nor KillerReads will be able to return any submissions, so make sure you have a copy stored safely before you submit.
- HarperCollins will not be responsible unless required by law, for any loss, changes, costs or expenses, which may arise in connection with this open submission and HarperCollins can cancel or alter the open submission at any stage.
– See more at: http://www.killerreads.com/open-submissions/#sthash.207MVZ94.dpuf
Payment: 30% – 50% share of the net profit.
Voodoo Press accepts unsolicited submissions of apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic, survival horror, traditional horror novels. No reprints or self-published.
Payment: 30% – 50% share of the net profit.
Rights: You are willing to give us your ebook, print & audio rights for a minimum of 5 years
Times New Roman 12pt
Page headers (in the right corner of every page except the title page should include: Author name/Title/Page No.)
Page break between chapters
Please use our Submission Manager Tool
The following informations must be included
1. Your bio
2. Synopsis for your book
We will review your submission and decide if it is something we are interested in. This process can take several weeks depending on how many submissions and how busy the staff is.
Via: Voodoo Press.
$150 advance, plus royalties to be paid every 6 months, plus 10 free copies of the print edition
Dark Park Publishing is currently accepting well-written novels and novellas in all areas of Dark Fiction.
Works can be Horror, Dark Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Western, or Dark Comedy in any genre. What we are looking for, besides an entertaining read, is unique storytelling. Whether it’s a strikingly original premise, a mash-up of genres never done before, or a tale told in an unconventional (but effective) style, if your work presents fresh ideas and a distinctive voice, we’re interested!
Submission Guidelines (please read fully before submitting):
• Complete works should be 25,000+ words for Novellas and 50,000+ words for Novels.
• Work must be written in English.
• Work should be submitted as a Microsoft Word doc/docx. (See details below.*)
• Work must be received in proper manuscript format. See example HERE. (Except, please put only one space after a period, not two.)
• Work must be original to author. Persons submitting must hold copyright to the material, or have legal authority to submit work on behalf of author.
• Work cannot have been previously published in any form or market.
• No simultaneous or multiple submissions.
*Authors wanting to submit their work for consideration should initially send only the FIRST 50 PAGES OF THE WORK (double spaced) as an attachment. In the body of the email, author should provide a brief (1-3 sentences) description of the storyline, and word count of complete work.
Submissions should be emailed to [email protected]
Use “Submission – Title of Your Work – Your Last Name” as your subject line (and don’t forget to attach your work).
Authors of works accepted for publication by Dark Park will receive a $150 advance, plus royalties to be paid every 6 months, plus 10 free copies of the print edition of the book when available.
**Follow @DarkParkPub on Twitter for the latest book updates.
Via: Dark Park Publishing.
APART FROM THE ABOVE EXCEPTIONS, WE ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED FOR NOVEL/NOVELLA/COLLECTION SUBMISSIONS EXCEPT BY INVITATION.
WE ARE WILLING TO LOOK AT AGENTED MANUSCRIPTS IN ALL GENRES LISTED BELOW.
For us, novellas range from 30,000 to 40,000 words. Novels and collections are 40,000 words and above.
We are not looking for anything smaller than this.
PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE PAGE, RIGHT TO THE BOTTOM, BEFORE SUBMITTING.
Reprints: Please query.
Please read the entire page before doing anything. Then, read it once more.
What we want:
- Military thrillers, military sci-fi, or military horror
- SHTF, apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic horror (there are too many bad zombie tales out there already, so if you have the shambling (or running) dead in your story, it better be damn good)
- Biological/Creature horror ie. beasties rising up against man, giant creatures devouring cities etc.
- YA in the above genres
- Collections in the above genres
- Memoirs of crime or addiction
- Memoirs of military service or action. We particularly like Special Forces
NOTE: Unique projects will always be considered.
If you have something that is unable to be classified, contact us via the Contact Page
We offer 50% of gross income on all electronic and print sales
Please include a brief ‘hello, this is who I am’ in your email body as a cover letter.
Blank emails with attachments will be deleted.
Pitches MUST be attached as a doc file. DO NOT include in the body of the email.
How to format your pitch:
Your pitch should include the following items in this order:
1. Contact information top left. Total wordcount top right.
2. Title and author name centred
3. Full synopsis; around 400-600 words
4. Author bio
5. Any promotion ability you have, such as website, blog, social media etc. We WILL promote your work, but expect you to do the same.
6. The first three chapters or 10,000 words (whichever comes first) in the same document
- Courier or Times New Roman; 12pt; italics as they will appear. No underlining. MINIMAL FORMATTING.
- Double spaced
- DO NOT use tab or spacing to indent lines. Use ‘styles’ only. If unsure, do not indent at all
- ONE SPACE after periods
- NO LINE between paragraphs unless a line-break is required
Send submissions to: email@example.com
Subject line should be: genre_[title]_[surname]
We will respond within 48 hours to acknowledge receipt of your submission.
We will make contact within 2 weeks – at the most – in regard to whether we want to read your novel.
If you haven’t heard back in three weeks from the date of pitch submission, send us an enquiry via firstname.lastname@example.org
The subject line of this email should be in the format: pitchenquiry_
Via: Cohesion Press.