Online Submission System
Please note that you should expect a response to your submission within three months. If you haven’t heard by then please send a query email to [email protected]
Please don’t submit your piece simultaneously to another publication.
What We Want
Firstly we recommend that you read some of the first issue of Alt Hist to get a flavour of what we publish, either the sample material or better yet go and buy yourself a copy.
1. Must be a short piece of fiction – under 10,000 words.
2. Must be either historical fiction, alternate history, or historical fantasy.
3. Must be a well written character based story rather than an exercise in ‘what if …’
4. Must not be simultaneously submitted to another publication.
5. Must be an original work that has not been published elsewhere.
Reviews and articles about historical fiction, alternate history books, genres and writers are welcome and criteria 2) and 3) above also apply.
We would love to have your artwork to illustrate the magazine and website. In fact we need a nice image for the website asap, so if you have something you would like to contribute we’ll count you in for a share of the first two year’s profits as well!
Please let us know what rights you are granting us and be aware that the magazine will be published as an ebook and printed book.
How To Submit
Please submit using our online submission system provided by submishmash.
If you are having any problems submitting or want to ask a question contact us at:[email protected]
In the subject line please put: Fiction Submission, Non-Fiction Submission, Artwork Submission as applicable.
In the body of the email tell us a bit about yourself and any previous publishing credits.
If submitting text please use standard manuscript format.
How We Pay
Please note this has changed recently.
We currently offer a token payment of either $10 per accepted submission or a free copy of the print version of the issue in which your work features. You will also receive a free PDF copy of the issue.
We are looking for First English Language serial rights, which means that we have the right to publish it first before it appears anywhere else. Once published you could then publish the story elsewhere if you wish, such as an anthology for instance.
Via: Alt Hist.
Short Stories 500 to 1500 words $10 + Digital Copy
Short Stories 1500 to 7500 words $20 + Digital Copy
Essays 1000 to 5000 words $10 + Digital Copy
Odd Tree Quarterly Submission Guidelines
We are looking for new or previously published short stories of a speculative nature. Especially focusing on horror, fantasy, and science fiction. Speculative related art and essays. Works will be published once in the quarterly and once in the yearly bundle published at the end of each year(four quarterly issues). Each quarterly issue and yearly bundle will be available in Print, Epub, PDF, and Kindle formats.
We tend to avoid first person and present tense narratives. Written work must be submitted as a doc file in an email attachment. Please no excessive formatting. Use standard fonts with paragraph indents. Do not double space between lines or paragraphs. Do not send us your first draft and expect us to fully edit and proofread it. We are accepting short stories 500 to 7500 words in length.
Art should be submitted in any common digital format(jpg, png, etc.). Submit as an email attachment or as a link. Art should be sized for 8″ x 10″ page (full bleed). 300 dpi or better.
Essays should be submitted as a doc file in an email attachment and should be of interest to fans of speculative fiction. Essays up to 5000 words.
All authors and artists should send a short bio(up to 100 words) along with their submissions. Also provide us with up to two links that will be posted in the quarterly at the end of their piece. It can be your website and/or a link to where your other work is available. Text links only please.
The quarterly will be published every year on Jan 1st, April 1st, July 1st, and Oct 1st.
Send all submissions to: [email protected]
We are paying for non-exclusive rights to publish works in the Odd Tree Press Quarterly and an option to publish once in a future anthology. The author/artist retains all further rights. All work will be paid upon acceptance through mailed check or PayPal. A contract will be emailed upon acceptance. This contract can be reviewed and signed online. Or it can be printed, signed and mailed to the address provided in the contract email.
I,_________, am agreeing to sell non-exclusive rights to my story,_________, for publication by Odd Tree Press for the Odd Tree Quarterly for both print and digital media. Odd Tree Press retains the option to include this story in one future anthology. I retain all further rights to this story and I affirm that I am the author of said story. I retain the rights to publish this story elsewhere and at anytime. This contract is binding upon receipt of $20 from Odd Tree Press in payment for the publishing rights of this story. Odd Tree Press agrees to send me one digital copy and one print copy upon publication of the Odd Tree Press issue in which this story is published. I agree to provide this contract along with payment information in the form of my address(for payments by check) or my PayPal ID(for online payments). I agree that if Odd Tree Press decides to not publish this story, for whatever reason, I retain the $20 fee that was paid for this story. Odd Tree Press will never ask for refunds for purchased stories. These terms are acceptable to me, please consider this contract binding. This contract can be signed digitally or printed, signed, and mailed to: Odd Tree Press
Pay rates are:
- Short Stories 500 to 1500 words $10 + Digital Copy
- Short Stories 1500 to 7500 words $20 + Digital Copy
- Essays 1000 to 5000 words $10 + Digital Copy
- Art $10(interior) to $20(cover) + Digital Copy
Via: Odd Tree Press.
Payment: Contributor’s copy and:
Short Fiction: 1.25 cents/Word (AUD) with a A$20 minimum per piece.
Poetry, and Flash Fiction (under 1000 words): A$10 per piece.
How to Submit
E-mail to [email protected] as an attached RTF. We do not accept submissions via post.
No simultaneous submissions and one submission at a time, please!
We only accept science fiction, fantasy and supernatural horror works up to 10,000 words in length. Submissions of up to 20,000 words are permitted from subscribers and from authors resident in Australia and New Zealand.
We do not accept any submissions where the work is currently available, for free or purchase, in any form elsewhere, whether in print, online, or as a podcast. Given that, reprint submissions are highly unlikely to be accepted.
We do not accept serialised submissions, so please don’t ask.
Once we have received and logged your submission, we will reply with a submission number. Follow the link to thesubmissions tracking page for info on how long to wait before querying about your submission.
Once you have your submission number, you can track the progress of your submission on our submissions tracking page.
Check out our formatting guidelines and refer to http://www.shunn.net/writing/coach/format.html for a preferred submission format. This link is to an excellent reference on how to format manuscripts. William Shunn has no relationship to ASIM.
Please make sure you include your full contact details, including postal address, e-mail and phone number.
What We Pay
Short Fiction: 1.25 cents/Word (AUD) with a A$20 minimum per piece.
Poetry, and Flash Fiction (under 1000 words): A$10 per piece.
Non-fiction: A$10 for articles of 1000 words or greater.
Artwork: We pay A$100 per cover and A$20 per internal piece.
Every contributor also receives a copy of the issue in which their item appears, whether that’s fiction, non-fiction, artwork or poetry.
Submitting to ASIM – The Details
“….ASIM’s submissions process has to rank up there with the #1
all time process I’ve ever encountered.”
“Easily the best submission procedures
of any magazine
to which I’ve submitted.”
Although we’re based in Australia, we welcome submissions from all countries.
We submit every issue to reviewers at Locus, SF Crowsnest, Tangent and more, and also to several Year’s Best anthologies. We’re reviewed regularly by many of them.
Getting published in ASIM does not mean your fiction will only be seen by a handful of wallabies in outback Australia!
Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine buys First Australian Serial Rights and limited electronic rights.
ASIM is a magazine available in both physical, eBook and PDF formats. Contracts ask for limited electronic rights, as well as first Australian print rights. We offer the electronic version in parallel with the print version.
We accept science fiction, fantasy and supernatural horror works up to 10,000 words in length. Submissions of up to 20,000 words are permitted from subscribers and from authors resident in Australia and New Zealand. (It costs a fortune for Aus & NZ authors to post a story that length to overseas markets—that’s why we bend the guidelines for them.)
We do not accept serialised submissions, so please don’t ask.
Andromeda Spaceways is intended for a wide audience, so we don’t want anything more than M rated: no gratuitous sex or graphic violence. We want the overall tone of ASIM to be light as opposed to the dark-and-gritty style that characterises so many other SF mags this day and age. This does not mean we only publish light humour pieces, though. Our readers are just as keen on traditional fantasy and hard science fiction. We’re just not the best market for doom-laden go-nowhere stories that push the boundaries of the English language into new and unfortunate places.
Given an otherwise even choice between angst and adventure, we’ll grab the adventure.
Payment for stories: 1.25 cents/Word (AUD) with a A$20 minimum per piece
Payment for flash fiction (up to 1000 words): A$10 per piece
Any style under two pages, though must be speculative fiction (science fiction, fantasy or supernatural horror).
Payment for poetry: A$10 per piece.
Via: Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine
Payment: Between $20 and $60 per 1000 words
Aurealis is open to submissions during two reading periods:
1 February—7 April and 1 August—31 October
Subscribers are fast-tracked through the assessment process
Aurealis is looking for science fiction, fantasy or horror short stories between 2000 and 8000 words. All types of science fiction, fantasy and horror that are of a “speculative” nature will be considered, but we do not want stories that are derivative in nature, particularly those based on TV series. We do not publish horror without a supernatural element.
Although we are an Australian-based publication, we are open to submissions in English from anywhere in the multiverse.
Stories containing an unacceptable number of spelling mistakes and typos, and those that do not conform to our guidelines in other ways, will be rejected automatically. This may seem harsh, but we are being honest about it. Please take the time to polish your work in every way before you send it to us.
Aurealis pays between A$20 and A$60 per 1000 words, but assume the lower rate for unsolicited submissions. Payment is made soon after the publication of the issue containing your story. Minimum payment is A$20. You will also receive a free electronic copy of the issue containing your story.
We buy First Electronic Publication Rights and the non-exclusive rights to include the story in a print and digital anthology. All other rights remain with the contributor. The story must not be published elsewhere for a period of twelve months after it appears in electronic form in Aurealis.
Aurealis does not publish reprints. We don’t publish poetry or novel extracts. We don’t serialise longer works.
Our response time is no more than two months, and we are always aiming for much shorter turnarounds. Please do not query us until two months have passed since your submission. Where time permits, unsuccessful authors will be emailed a reply in the form of a checklist critique and/or a personal note. We are sorry, but Aurealis is not able to respond to queries about rejected stories.
Fiction submission guidelines
All fiction submissions to Aurealis must be by email. Please e-mail submissions to:[email protected]
Hard copy submissions will no longer be read or receive a response.
Please include the following information with your submission:
- The subject line of the email must be in the following format:
Aurealis submission: <“Title of story”> <(word count)> by <Author name>
eg Aurealis submission: “The Attack of the Cyber-witches” (2500 words) by Sy Fixion
- The body of the email should include:
- A repeat of the email subject line
- Your name, address, all phone and email contact details
- A brief cover letter (max 200 words) “Here’s a story that I wrote about…”
- A brief bio (max 100 words)
- Please include on the first page of your submission the author’s name, email address, postal address, phone number, the title of the story and the word length. Do NOT include your name or address in the footers or headers of the file.
- Please attach your submission as a file to your email; do not include your submission in the body of an email. Submissions should be included as rtf files only. We cannot guarantee submissions will/can be read if sent as any other file format.
Here is how the start of your fiction submission should look:
- Please only submit one story at a time. We do not accept simultaneous submissions.
- Save your story file as the title of the story. Do not include your name in the file name.
- Stories must be unpublished and if accepted must remain unpublished until they appear in Aurealis. Stories should not be published (made publically available) on personal websites, public writer’s forums, small press publications, POD books/collections, self published collections etc. We are not interested in seeing stories that have been previously rejected by the magazine.
- All stories are judged on merit through a blind reading process. All identifying information is removed prior to sending it to our readers. Hence, we do not want identifying information in headers and footers
- Subscriber submissions will be fast-tracked through the assessment process. If you are a subscriber, please indicate this clearly in the subject line: “Aurealis submission: <“Title of story”> <(word count)> by <Author name> (SUBSCRIBER)” and on the first page of your manuscript.
- All manuscripts should be double-spaced with broad margins and numbered pages.
- Use 12 pt Times font, or a similar serif font, such as Cambria, Palatino, Baskerville. No other fonts, please. Italise words and passages that you want italicised. DO NOT underline words or passages you want italicised
- If you have note heard from us after two months, please check your spam filters before querying us.
Please direct all fiction submission queries to: [email protected]
Non-fiction submission guidelines
We are interested in articles between 500 and 2000 words of interest to readers and writers of science fiction, fantasy and horror. These include humorous pieces, serious articles and interviews. We prefer non-fiction where some visuals are included. Non-fiction must be previously unpublished and remain unpublished for 12 months after publication in Aurealis. Our payment is A$20 per 1000 words. Send all non-fiction articles and queries to [email protected].
Review book guidelines
Aurealis reviews novels, anthologies, collections and non-fiction of interest to readers of science fiction, fantasy and horror. Please send queries to [email protected]. Do not send digital files unless requested to do so. Due to the volume of requests, we only respond if we are interested in seeing the book. A book request from us is no guarantee it will be reviewed. Please do not send follow-up queries.
If you would like to write reviews for Aurealis, please send an expression of interest to the Reviews Editor at [email protected]. If there is an opening, the Reviews Editor will get back to you with information about how to apply.
APART FROM THE ABOVE EXCEPTIONS, WE ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED FOR NOVEL/NOVELLA/COLLECTION SUBMISSIONS EXCEPT BY INVITATION.
WE ARE WILLING TO LOOK AT AGENTED MANUSCRIPTS IN ALL GENRES LISTED BELOW.
For us, novellas range from 30,000 to 40,000 words. Novels and collections are 40,000 words and above.
We are not looking for anything smaller than this.
PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE PAGE, RIGHT TO THE BOTTOM, BEFORE SUBMITTING.
Reprints: Please query.
Please read the entire page before doing anything. Then, read it once more.
What we want:
- Military thrillers, military sci-fi, or military horror
- SHTF, apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic horror (there are too many bad zombie tales out there already, so if you have the shambling (or running) dead in your story, it better be damn good)
- Biological/Creature horror ie. beasties rising up against man, giant creatures devouring cities etc.
- YA in the above genres
- Collections in the above genres
- Memoirs of crime or addiction
- Memoirs of military service or action. We particularly like Special Forces
NOTE: Unique projects will always be considered.
If you have something that is unable to be classified, contact us via the Contact Page
We offer 50% of gross income on all electronic and print sales
Please include a brief ‘hello, this is who I am’ in your email body as a cover letter.
Blank emails with attachments will be deleted.
Pitches MUST be attached as a doc file. DO NOT include in the body of the email.
How to format your pitch:
Your pitch should include the following items in this order:
1. Contact information top left. Total wordcount top right.
2. Title and author name centred
3. Full synopsis; around 400-600 words
4. Author bio
5. Any promotion ability you have, such as website, blog, social media etc. We WILL promote your work, but expect you to do the same.
6. The first three chapters or 10,000 words (whichever comes first) in the same document
- Courier or Times New Roman; 12pt; italics as they will appear. No underlining. MINIMAL FORMATTING.
- Double spaced
- DO NOT use tab or spacing to indent lines. Use ‘styles’ only. If unsure, do not indent at all
- ONE SPACE after periods
- NO LINE between paragraphs unless a line-break is required
Send submissions to: email@example.com
Subject line should be: genre_[title]_[surname]
We will respond within 48 hours to acknowledge receipt of your submission.
We will make contact within 2 weeks – at the most – in regard to whether we want to read your novel.
If you haven’t heard back in three weeks from the date of pitch submission, send us an enquiry via firstname.lastname@example.org
The subject line of this email should be in the format: pitchenquiry_
Via: Cohesion Press.
Payment: Original fiction is $.06 per word up to 7,500 words. If we podcast your story, payment is $.01 per word up to 7,500 words.
Our magazine is an SFWA-certified professional market.
Editor-in-Chief: Jason Sizemore
Managing Editor: Lesley Conner
Original Short Fiction:
1) Submit your work in Shunn Standard Manuscript Format.
2) Maximum word length is a firm 7,500 words. Anything more will be auto-rejected.
3) Payment for original fiction is $.06 per word up to 7,500 words.
4) If we podcast your story, payment is $.01 per word up to 7,500 words.
5) Apex Magazine welcomes and encourages submissions from writers of all race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and military status, in any of its activities or operations. We want diverse voices. We value diverse voices. Having said that, please be aware that we do not collect any information that might clue our editors to any of these attributes other than your name, email, and address prior to any decisions made regarding your submission.
We do not accept unsolicited reprints.
1) Your poem must be 200 lines or less.
2) Your poem must be original and unpublished.
3) Poets can submit up to 5 poems at a time. However, please submit each poem in a separate email.
4) Payment is 25 cents per line.
5) Poetry editor Bianca Spriggs provides some tips regarding the type of work she is seeking in this blog post. Reading it is probably a good idea. 🙂
Rights and Rules:
No simultaneous submissions. No multi-submissions. We try to respond to all submissions within 30 days.
Before you submit your work, please review the appropriate contract template. If we accept your work, we will expect you to be familiar with our terms. Thanks!
Original Short Fiction
Please send all queries regarding a submission’s status to our managing editor Lesley Conner ([email protected]).
Submit short fiction through our online form.
Via: Apex Magazine.